Figs in pots?

Reaction score
Can you grow fig trees in pots? I know they won't get big but I bought little fig trees last year and had 2 figs and this year, nothing. Do I need bigger pots? Do they just not like pots? I am in Florida but my neighbors have gorgeous, giant, prolific, fig trees with boughs heavy with figs and I am jealous. I have a small yard so I am hesitant to plant a fig tree in the ground. I had wondered if pollination was an issue but I don't even see flowers on the trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you grow fig trees in pots? I know they won't get big but I bought little fig trees last year and had 2 figs and this year, nothing. Do I need bigger pots? Do they just not like pots? I am in Florida but my neighbors have gorgeous, giant, prolific, fig trees with boughs heavy with figs and I am jealous. I have a small yard so I am hesitant to plant a fig tree in the ground. I had wondered if pollination was an issue but I don't even see flowers on the trees.
I think you could sucessfully grow a fig in a large pot. Maintaining the correct moisture will be more difficult though. Figs require a lot of sunlight too. How about a dwarf fig tree? They only get about 4 feet tall and would be much easier to grow in a pot than a regular fig would

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, I had no idea that there is such a thing as dwarf fig trees! I want one! It sounds like something perfect for me, since figs don't normally grow in my climate. I'd love to keep a fig tree in my room and eat fresh, yummy fruits straight from it:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would love to be able to grow a fig tree and have fresh figs, but I don't think they would do well on the temperate climate of Washington. It is probably not warm enough here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I would love to be able to grow a fig tree and have fresh figs, but I don't think they would do well on the temperate climate of Washington. It is probably not warm enough here.
Have you thought about growing them indoors? This is what I want to do in the future, when I move in with my boyfriend. My climate is too cold for fig trees as well.

Reaction score
Any potted plant will be restricted to it's size by the pot size. Figs do well in pots but like any potted tree it has to be trimmed. A 30 gallon pot of Coco Chior 1/4 to 1/2" cube potting mix is the best that I have found to grow trees. I have seen 100 gallon pots grow full size citrus trees.
Celeste figs( sweetest and my favorite) can grow to gigantic size so choose a smaller tree like brown turkey , Alma or LSU purple. The LSU purple takes three to four years to produce really sweet fruit.
headfullofbees
Fig trees limbs after a long period of time can touch the ground and sprout new shoots. I had a celeste do this at 20 years old so if container grown this would not be a problem

gatorgardener
My advise to you is to plant the fig in the ground and just trim it to the size you want. Figs recover quickly from pruning.
pollination, Figs have internal flowers within the fruit. The inside of the fig has everything it needs to produce fertile fig seeds.

Ask a Question