Figs, 3 in fact

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
View attachment 15939Apparently there are a 2 different types of fig tree. i don't know what type this one is but i am very excited as i actually have 3 FIGS . I planted the tree i think aboit 4 years ago.. I don't know when the right time is to pick them so I'll need to do some research.. Does any one know here have an idea of ehat i shouod be looking for please? I am assuming color, softness but not too much softness:confused:. How to judge. And pruning! I'll wait ofcourse til after my bounty is complete and I am sure it will exceed 3!(y) I really like the shape of the leaves.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Your tree is very young. Figs do not produce many if any figs until they are about 6 years old. Pruning is for your benefit not the trees. Just remove any dead wood. I don't know which variety you have nor which type but the fruit is ripe when it colors and starts to turn soft, (or when the birds flock in and eat them.) If the tree gets too big just cut off the offending limbs.. Do not let it dry out when blooming or fruiting, keep it damp. Figs are easy to air layer if you ever want another tree. Pests are few but, over here spider mites can be a problem. I have no idea what you have in Australia. You will find that wasps are attracted to the fruit, especially the open type. They like the sugar. All in all figs are just about maintenance free. Do not fertilize when fruiting or it will cause fruit drop. Figs require little fertilization.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your tree is very young. Figs do not produce many if any figs until they are about 6 years old. Pruning is for your benefit not the trees. Just remove any dead wood. I don't know which variety you have nor which type but the fruit is ripe when it colors and starts to turn soft, (or when the birds flock in and eat them.) If the tree gets too big just cut off the offending limbs.. Do not let it dry out when blooming or fruiting, keep it damp. Figs are easy to air layer if you ever want another tree. Pests are few but, over here spider mites can be a problem. I have no idea what you have in Australia. You will find that wasps are attracted to the fruit, especially the open type. They like the sugar. All in all figs are just about maintenance free. Do not fertilize when fruiting or it will cause fruit drop. Figs require little fertilization.
Thanks for the info Chuck. I guess I'll be grateful for the 3 figs. I'll watch put for the wasps,we do have the European Wasps here and they are a wee bit nasty.

Ask a Question