Figs "Melting" on the Tree

Reaction score
Country
United States
My in-laws have a lot of fruit trees growing in their back yard and have always had great success with their fig tree. This year and last the fruit seem to be rotting while still on the tree before fully ripening. I do notice fig beetles in the area quite a bit but I don't know if that could be the sole cause of this kind of thing.

In the picture if you zoom in enough, there appears to be fruit flies on and around the rotting fruit, but again, I don't think know if their presence is really the cause or just a result of the rotting fruit. Thanks!

e7lZqlm.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't see many birds at all, but, I'm not there often enough or during the times that they might be there. Does this look like bird damage?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This does look like bird damage, especially the hole its poked at the top of the fig on the right.

Are you sure you're not leaving the fruit too long ? Just a tip, figs will continue to ripen off the tree even if they are not fully ripened when picked, if harvested at a certain level of ripeness like apricots (there is a term for those type of fruits, I forget what it is).

Last edited:

Ask a Question