FERTILIZER Leaves.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
FALLEN LEAVES DO NOT COMPOST. They sit in a pile and turn into almost paper.

There are about seven large trees that I can access. My vegetable garden is 26 by 36 feet.
I have a vaccum electric leaf device which is used to handle leaves.
When the leaves fall to the gound, they are sucked up by the leaf vacuum. The leaves are reduced to small pieces about 5 to1.
I fill up a garbage container and dump the chopped leaves on top of the rototilled garden about 3 inches thick.
The leaves are left to over winter and come Spring there is no sign of the leaves. They have all composted.
I add a few handfuls of 777 to insure my plants have sufficient nutrients. INSTAND FERTILIZER.
i AM THE ONLY RESIDENT OF MY AREA UTILIZING LEAVES. People rake them up and place in bags for garbage pick-up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The next town over used to have a leaf collection dump site that the city workers dumped them at to compost. It was open to the public to go in but now that has stopped. It was some really good looking dirt down in the middle of the piles. I got alot from there.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
i AM THE ONLY RESIDENT OF MY AREA UTILIZING LEAVES. People rake them up and place in bags for garbage pick-up.
What a waste of a valuable resource. That act is repeated in literally millions and millions of homes especially in cities. What a waste.

By the way, happy to see Durgan post, and I have some old growth timber on my place which clearly shows that yes fallen leaves do decompose; it just takes longer than chopped ones. Otherwise, old growth forests would be buried in leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
DRY fallen leafs don't compost. Wet aerated leafs mixed with other organic matter will compost down to some great garden beds. This was my gateway drug into the container HK beds Meadowlark tested last season.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We live in the woods and every year burn the leaves.

Chopping them up this year for Compost. I also have Chicken Poop and Wood Ash to mix in with other things.

As matter fact I messed my Arm up burning our place. I fell and put my Shoulder around to my Spine without breaking anything.

Yes it hurt and I screamed. They operated on it for 4 hours but couldn't fix it. Now dealing with Prostate Cancer. Game Changer.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
I made a deal with 2 of my neighbors that I give them green beans and potatoes. I get their leaves. I am the only guy I know that brings leaves into their yard

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well still unsure.

Was thinking of Mulching some and just catching the others for Garden and Compost Bins.

But was reading need to chop them up.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is not a whole lot of nutrition in leaf mould, though I don't know if that might vary with the type of tree. What it is good for is moisture. Excess moisture drains from it really quickly, but at the same time the amount it will hold is high, best of both worlds, no drowning, no drying out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish I could compost my leaves but they are full of some sort of fungus on just about all of them. It looks like multiple pimples on it.

I have to try and pick them all up before they compose in my garden. More work than need be but my garden gets better every year since I started doing this.

MOD

Ask a Question