Predigesting Organic Fertilizers

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
While on the kitchen recipe trail of fermenting creme with different cultures I read an excerpt that came back to me later.

" fermented foods are easier to digest"

Later it struck me that Fish, Blood and Bones are all fermentable. One of the problems with organic fertilizers is that they require time to be digested in the field. Were that process to be removed from the field it could be helpful in some ways. One way would be described as the condition we occasionally find where a plant is lacking nutrients as it approaches maturity, flowering or fruiting stages. Or if indeterminate, perhaps it runs out of steam in the late season. Speed of uptake, also called availability, becomes important. Unfortunately it is a major sore spot for organics.

So often the quick answers are chemical fertilizer responses. Calcium Nitrate for example. But what if...

So I formulated at least one question based on my proximity to the cultures I have aquired for homemade buttermilk and creme fraiche.

What cultures would I use if I chose to ferment FBB over this winter? Lactose? When I buy packages of starter cultures I often read a list of yeasts, not just one. But these are seemingly aimed at milk related products. The rotting of compost comes to mind, but then sterility and safety has a part to play as well. I feel like it is a question that is reinventing the wheel, but really its one of a more narrow focus. For example, if I pasteurized the materials and then added them and a starter to a closed container, even one with an outgas trap like a winemaker?

Last edited:

Ask a Question