Fertilizer Recommendations

Reaction score
Country
United States
First post here! When we bought our house here in New York's Hudson Valley a few years ago, the front yard was just a large grass lawn with a few large swamp maples and nothing else. A blank canvas! I've got several planting projects going now, one of which is the gradual replacement of all our lawn grass with various ground covers - vinca, creeping thyme, sedums, micro clover, creeping juniper, etc. I've also planted a bunch of trees - Arborvitae, birch, japanese maples, spruce, red oak, white pine - and am starting by sowing ground cover seeds and planting ground cover plants around the trees to form little islands.

It's looking great. I've been using the Miracle Gro stakes for trees and shrubs, but now that ground covers are going in, I'm wondering if there might be better options for both the ground covers and the trees. I know Miracle Gro contains copper sulfate, which is not a good thing for the soil and its inhabitants... Can someone recommend a good fertilizer for trees, shrubs and ground covers?

Many thanks in advance. I look forward to learning a lot here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ANY pelleted organic fertilizer is infinitely better than any Scotts or Miricle Grow product. I don't know what is available there but Espoma is sold nationwide and is an excellent fertilizer and will work for everything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is the one I would get. It is an all purpose fertilizer good for everything. Actually both of the fertilizers are good for everything but this one has a higher nitrogen content (6) than the other one has (4) which is a little better for grasses.

Ask a Question