Fertilizer frequency for newly transplanted plum tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
My friend just gave me a plum tree that he just propagated last year. It's a tropical plum tree. Please see pic of what its fruits will look like when it bears fruits. It's still in a pot and I'll put it in the ground in a week.

How often should I fertilize it since it's still a young tree please? As a general rule of thumb, I heard it's once a month for the first two years right? And all year round even in winter months in the first two years right?

I like to know the best way to care for young fruit trees when it just got put in the ground to make sure it's thriving.

Thanks

Attachments

• cay-man.jpg
    cay-man.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My friend just gave me a plum tree that he just propagated last year. It's a tropical plum tree. Please see pic of what its fruits will look like when it bears fruits. It's still in a pot and I'll put it in the ground in a week.

How often should I fertilize it since it's still a young tree please? As a general rule of thumb, I heard it's once a month for the first two years right? And all year round even in winter months in the first two years right?

I like to know the best way to care for young fruit trees when it just got put in the ground to make sure it's thriving.

Thanks
First of all that is not a plum. It is called a Jambu Wax Apple. It is more of a pear than an apple though. And I am clueless as how to grow them. They are grown successfully in the warmer parts of Calif. The reason I know about them is that my daughter sent me a box of assorted fruit grown in Calif for an XMASS present a couple of years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Thanks. I’ll fertilize it today and I’ll fertilize it every month For the first year since it’s still young and I guess it will need nutrients to grow up just like humans :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks. I’ll fertilize it today and I’ll fertilize it every month For the first year since it’s still young and I guess it will need nutrients to grow up just like humans :)
STOP!!!! Didn't you read about fertilization on that link I sent you? I think you had better learn more about the growth habits of that tree before you start doing things to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
Yes I read the fertilizer part of that article. So far all the articles I read about wax apple do not say how I should fertilize it when it's still young. I'll do more research. In the meantime, I only put mulch in the pot to keep the soil moist and no fertilizer yet.

Ask a Question