New bacteria fertilizer from Berkeley

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm of mixed opinion on this. On the plus side I can see use of chemical fertilizers go down but on the negative side there is that slippery slope of GMO's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The author Michael Pollan wrote some passages describing how pigs have manipulated humans into a symbiotic relationship whereby the pig population has been able to explode beyond its natural boundaries through the help and support of mankind in exchange for food. Much like a plant giving carbon to fungi or bacteria when it needs something if I can be allowed the parallel. If I really think about GMO, my first concern would be my position in nature as a food source. There are so many fungi and bacteria that we cannot resist, and the numbers are vast.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Interesting research...but gardeners have known for centuries that N2 can be added naturally to their garden soils. As the article says. "Legumes are the only crops with bacteria capable of pulling nitrogen from the air through a process called “fixation.”

Ask a Question