Container fertilizers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys I will be growing a bunch of peppers and a few tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets and grow bags. I'm using fox farm happy frog potting soil. What's a good fertilizer to use? The fox farm products?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey guys I will be growing a bunch of peppers and a few tomatoes in 5 gallon buckets and grow bags. I'm using fox farm happy frog potting soil. What's a good fertilizer to use? The fox farm products?
Fox Farm is a great product. In 5 gallon buckets I would mix in about 2 cups of their dry fertilizer and everytime you water, water with their diluted liquid product at about 1/2 the rate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have hard clay soil, so anything I plant must either go in my raised bed, or in pots. I use Miracle-Gro products: Garden Soil, Potting Soil, and their mix-up-in-the-wateringcan plant foods. I also use Scotts Humus and Manure in my raised garden. But you can put a teeny dab of the Humus in a pot for a tomato. That works for me. Just one little spade-full should do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I wouldn't use any Scotts product or Miracle Gro on anything. Not only are their synthetic fertilizers bad for the environment they are also bad for the soil. Who knows what they put in everything else. Maybe I would try some if it were OMRI listed but as far as I know none of them are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sorry to say store-bought dirt is my only option thanks to my horrible clay dirt. And the Scotts Humus and Manure is not synthetic. Miracle-Gro is really pushed around here, so I haven't got a choice for a high-nutrition store-bought soil. NEVER buy Sta-Green stuff, that's for sure. It may be cheap, but it is low nutrition, and dries out something terrible. I would grow happier things if I only I had natural sandy soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If I could buy bags of natural sand, believe me, I would. The only buyable sand here is either landscaping sand, or play sand which has been sterilized for children's safety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If I could buy bags of natural sand, believe me, I would. The only buyable sand here is either landscaping sand, or play sand which has been sterilized for children's safety.
DON'T EVER mix sand with clay soils. Sand+clay=brick.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fox Farm is a great product. In 5 gallon buckets I would mix in about 2 cups of their dry fertilizer and everytime you water, water with their diluted liquid product at about 1/2 the rate.

Chuck are you talking about their marine cusine dry fertilizer or something else? Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck are you talking about their marine cusine dry fertilizer or something else? Thanks for all your help.
The Happy Frog fertilizer. There are different formulations for different things. I like the 6-4-5 All Purpose but there is a formulation just for containers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to say store-bought dirt is my only option thanks to my horrible clay dirt. And the Scotts Humus and Manure is not synthetic. Miracle-Gro is really pushed around here, so I haven't got a choice for a high-nutrition store-bought soil. NEVER buy Sta-Green stuff, that's for sure. It may be cheap, but it is low nutrition, and dries out something terrible. I would grow happier things if I only I had natural sandy soil.
Why do you think your "clay dirt" is "horrible"?
It holds nutrients, water and is slower to heat up; a blessing in Texas, I'd have thought.
If you had sandy soil in Texas heat, then you'd not only spend your life watering, but your growing season would be far shorter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
DON'T EVER mix sand with clay soils. Sand+clay=brick.

Yes it does. Been there, done that.

Calcium sulphate dihydrate (gypsum) is what you want to break clay.
Thanks I'll try that.

Why do you think your "clay dirt" is "horrible"?
It holds nutrients, water and is slower to heat up; a blessing in Texas, I'd have thought.
If you had sandy soil in Texas heat, then you'd not only spend your life watering, but your growing season would be far shorter.

Root vegetables are almost impossible in my hard clay soil - carrots fork, and all stay small. Needs aeration for water to penetrate. Harder to dig and till. My gardens are Getting better over time with compost and I will try gypsum too. Maybe not horrible, just takes work. I wouldn't trade it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love my clay soil for the trains mentioned by headfullofbees.
The best amendment for heavy clay is organic matter.

As far as fertilizer for pots I have just been using compost and 10-10-10 sparingly.
I'll be using the same this year and using tomato tone 3-4-6 after bloom.

I may also pick up some Master Blend 4-18-38 and try that.

I really don't like using fertilizer, for the reasons Chuck mentioned, but since I added quite a few pots and some have fruit trees planted in them, I started using Fert's.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
To control water better I have gone to all container gardening. I use Miracle-Gro all purpose at 1/4 to 1/2 of what they recommend.

Ask a Question