Farming vs Gardening: Is there really a difference?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I enjoyed this thread immensely! As the daughter of flower farmer's, I think I have the best of both world's. It is a combination or economic gain and aesthetic pleasure. When I am out in the field, I think of it as one big garden. Of course, it is not really like the gardens we have around the house. Nor, is it like the surrounding farmers corn and soy fields.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
even within farming, there is a difference....we raised thousands of acres of Potatoes, when Aroostook County Maine was the potato capital of the nation and we were small compared to what Bird's Eye and Vahlsing used to farm. They had dozens, likely hundreds of tractors and trucks to make the harvest and when we switched to peas or sugar beets to be competitive, they were right there with us. We "felt" like the little guys, for sure.

I still remember picking rocks from the potato fields, and the stench of the pea viners before that was hauled off for feed.

Both Gardening and Farming have changed dramatically in my 50 years loving both, as I do.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grew up in NJ on what was called mini farm .No real animals except for chickens on 5 acres and all organic when organic was not a key word and my family started that back in the 60's .To me a farm is larger with lots of animals

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@pandora, do you know if there is a market for sage brush, since your parents are flower farmers. LOL I am trying to get rid of mine. I have so many as it is.

@dave david I live right next to a farm that grows potatoes and alfafa. It is amazing how huge their crop area is. I know you mean about the feeling of being small.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@pandora, do you know if there is a market for sage brush, since your parents are flower farmers. LOL I am trying to get rid of mine. I have so many as it is.

Oh, there is always a market for any plant, I believe. It is just how you want to market your product. lol In the case of sage brush, you could sell it at the farmers market, you could put a sign in front of your house, you could even go online and advertise. A nice attribute about the sage brush are its various uses. It could go in a bouquet, you could dry it out, oh the possibilities.

What variety of sage brush do you have? Maybe you could post a picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You know, I am not really sure. Here is a picture but I am unsure as to its variety.

big-sagebrush-sized.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You know, I am not really sure. Here is a picture but I am unsure as to its variety.

big-sagebrush-sized.jpg

Maybe someone will jump in with your variety of sagebrush; otherwise I will ask my mother. She is more knowledge in this area. I will get back to your in about a week. I do think you have a little gold mine going on!

By the way, I love your picture. It reminds me of the days, we lived out West in Colorado! Oh, I love the low humidity and the variety of plants and flowers that grow in this region.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Maybe someone will jump in with your variety of sagebrush; otherwise I will ask my mother. She is more knowledge in this area. I will get back to your in about a week. I do think you have a little gold mine going on!

By the way, I love your picture. It reminds me of the days, we lived out West in Colorado! Oh, I love the low humidity and the variety of plants and flowers that grow in this region.

There is a pretty yellow bush flower that I love here that smells like koolaid. Can't for the life of me figure out what it is called though. We are going to get some of them and transplant them near the house we are building.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
There is a pretty yellow bush flower that I love here that smells like koolaid. Can't for the life of me figure out what it is called though. We are going to get some of them and transplant them near the house we are building.

Oh, you have me curious. I hope you post a picture. What comes to mind is either a Copper Pod tree, but this grows more in tropical areas. Maybe it is a Gorse Bush (Ulex) because this grows in drier climate. But now that I think about it, perhaps you have some Spanish Broom. This grows in your region and has a fragrant scent.

Does it look something like this?

800px-Cytisus_scoparius2.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
A garden is a place where the plants are loved. A farm is a place where plants are manufactured.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Most here have defined farming and gardening correctly. I would like to add my two pence worth too. For me farming would also mean staying away from the madding crowd.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
A garden is a place where the plants are loved. A farm is a place where plants are manufactured.

Oh, I see your point, but on the flower farm, our plants are loved. I get to know almost every plant because not only do I help out planting and watch their growth, but also do the weeding. It is a fulfilling feeling, when I find a plant tucked away behind taller weeds. I feel like I am almost saving them.

Just the other day, a farmer next door asked me, if I knew the name or every flower out in the field. I replied, it is my mother who knows every Latin name, but I "know" every flower. For me, it is kind of like a personal relationship that I develop with the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I grew up on a farm in Ark. and we had hog goats pigs and 500 acre of Sorghum to me thats farming and I don't miss it I'll take my little garden and be happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
We practice permaculture/natural forest gardening, which is farming meets gardening, we do it on a small scale but some farmers are doing it large scale.

Personally, I don't see the majority of modern farming or gardening techniques to be aimed at looking after humanity or wildlife in regards to the longterm, it really is about aesthetics and profit, the funny thing is is that the majority of the farmers that have switched from modern to permaculture techniques have had more luck than before. I do realize that though that a lot of this is down to knowledge. I also don't know about farming subsidies enough to know whether if farmers do switch to permaculture whether it would affect this.

Nature was designed to work together rather than against itself.

To answer your question though, the difference between farming and gardening is usually the scale it is done at.
The majority of gardeners I know don't grow food and have another job. If they do grow food its a small vegetable patch for their families and maybe a little extra, the majority of farmers I know keep less than what they sell and do not have any other income.
'Small holdings' are 'mini' farms, really the in between of farming and gardening, usually they don't just have one focus like many farms do. A small holding might have a couple of pigs, a cow, some hens, fruit trees, vegetable patch. A commercial farm usually has one focus. I've known few farmers who have more than two things that they produce. For example, I know a farmer who concentrates on cattle. I know another farmer who only has sheep and pigs and another who only grows grains.

Ask a Question