What farming strategy do you use?

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
A good number of gardeners rely on rainfed agriculture. Some of the crops bring losses due to erratic rainfall patterns necessitating the growth of short season crops which might also fall victim to heavy rains. The best strategy is to grow crops for the short, medium and long term.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
I farm corn, rice wheat, lentils and vegetables. My farming is entirely depended on rain. If it does not rain when the corn is flowering, my corn harvest is affected badly. If my rice plants do not get enough water, I will have poor harvest. There is an irrigating system,but it does not work in dry season.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We have several vegetable gardens, so don't "farm" in the traditional sense. However, we have a very long growing season with the only really down time being July and August.
We harvest rainwater and hand water the plants we want to carry through the summer (tomatoes, peppers, herbs) and plant cool season vegetables in February and again in late September.
When we had the record breaking drought a few years ago, we had to let some plants go. Found out that record-breaking drought=heart break. One bright spot was that all the native plants survived. Now we try to go with natives in the flowerbeds, and whenever possible in the food gardens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I farm corn, rice wheat, lentils and vegetables. My farming is entirely depended on rain. If it does not rain when the corn is flowering, my corn harvest is affected badly. If my rice plants do not get enough water, I will have poor harvest. There is an irrigating system,but it does not work in dry season.

I bet that this is something that farmers and growers everywhere deal with on a daily basis. It is amazing how much the rain levels can change things, and these days it really does seem like one year it can be a drought, and then the next we have flooding concerns. Just gotta stay on top of things.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I think I need a farming strategy. I planted 6 lettuces and there is one left. Completely gone:confused:. Something obviously is eating. Net maybe???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In Southern California, we are lucky to get a drop of rain during our Spring and Summer. We get about an inch-2in a month December-March with sprinklings in between. It is unfortunate we are in such a drought, and growing our vegetables at home actually costs us more in water than buying at the store. However, it gives us pleasure, social conversation, knowledge, appreciation and fresh organic produce that going to the market just cannot compare with. We use a hose and watering can and try to only use what we absolutely need. We plan on adding mulch to encourage the water to stay longer instead of evaporating so quickly!

Ask a Question