Farming weeds as vegetables

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
There are some weeds which can be farmed and used as vegetables. The advantage with growing them is that since they are wild and therefore hardy, they have little requirements other than watering during prolonged dry conditions. In my region, the stinging nettle is one such example. Any examples from your area?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't know the name of the plants that I see people picking in my area, I do wonder what the greens are. They grow wild in the area along the road.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I actually watched a TV show about this very topic a couple of years ago! It was about a family who would forage for all manners of weeds, and cook them - I wish I could recall what the program was called. It was fascinating and made me think of the number of weeds we probably write off as a nuisance that would actually work well as edibles!

I can't say I have tried it myself though!

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Sure they are wild and stuff, but I don't think you should focus your resources on weed though, compared to actually helpful plants, and even fruit bearing ones. Maybe if you have enough land to handle, where you can just ignore a patch and let the weeds grow, but if you have limited areas to plant on, wouldn't you rather have it be planted with useful things like vegetable crops and the like? The idea is great, and would probably be better off in areas where food is scarce, but as of now, it's not that great.

Ask a Question