Old fashioned farming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There are some days that I wish we could go back to the "olden days" and have farms and grow all of our own food. I do understand that there are some parts of the country that do this very thing today, but I would love to have all food fresh from my own land. A life with cell phones and stuff is ok, but I feel that the technology takes over our entire lives sometimes.

Reaction score
So true, Rosyrain. But in a way we can have the best of both worlds. Homesteading, back yard gardening, and container gardening, let us grow at least a portion of our produce AND we can still use the internet to talk about it with other gardeners, hee hee.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
LOL you are correct Rhondi! I do enjoy talking with my online community and would be sad if I had to give that up! I am kind of a young old soul though and enjoy all the simple things in life, like growing my own food and being self sustainable. I can't wait until we buy a house in a couple years so I can do more of it.

Reaction score
I too would agree that modern day technology does appear to-intrude into peoples lives much more than it should do and have to say that its an aspect that I particularly dislike.

I do however very much agree with Rhondi that its very possible the have the best of both worlds and in fact - as that is exactly what I already have as I do grow all my own produce - I would say that its even easier to do now than it ever was before - as even though I dislike modern technology and especially so when it intrudes on my everyday life - I just love how easy it is to get instant answers to something you want to know and how easy it is to locate new plants without ever having to leave your house - as well as all the other things that can be done at a touch of a button like ordering seeds, garden equuipment and plants online and of course being able to chat with like minded people :)

Reaction score
It would be a wonderful thing to do. I grow my own and love doing it. I hate my cell phone and only use it when necessary. I have to be on the internet for work and to do research but other than that and my MP3 player I am technologically deficient.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Because of my wife's disabilities, I would not be able to have an allotment if it wasn't for my cell 'phone.
It means she can reach me immediately, and I can be home in moments, in case of an emergency.

Ask a Question