Window farming

Reaction score
r-WINDOW-FARM-large570.jpg

I just finished with my summer vegetable garden but I still want to have fresh produce during the winter. I found information about window farms online. They are hydroponic gardens made from mostly recycled material (water bottles). I am very excited to see how they turn out. Here is a video I found on youtube on how to make them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It looks wonderful! I'd love to have something like this! It would be great to have my own fresh vegetables during winter. Thank you for sharing:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I like the concept, and I like that it recycles the bottles, but there are some concerns with chemicals leaching into the soil from the bottles especially when they are in the sun.

Reaction score
What a novel idea! 6 rows of hanging gardens, that's pretty cool. This is something you could do with vegetables or tropical plants. After you get the plants to start growing, it won't look so tacky in the window. Initially, it wouldn't look too good from the inside or out, although the image looks pretty well organized.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think you could make it less tacky by using different containers. There are a variety of ways to create rows in front of the window using more traditional pots or even recycled food cans that have been decorated to be more attractive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Just found this not at all tacky image of a window farm:

tumblr_m44r9aQxr61r4e9d3o1_400.png

This could be great if you could figure out a good water delivery/collection system. I'd be concerned about water dripping down.

Reaction score
This is awesome.. Now I have some more space if my husband doesn't object to this lol, :) Thanks for sharing this.. I have a few ideas running in my head right now :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is awesome.. Now I have some more space if my husband doesn't object to this lol, :) Thanks for sharing this.. I have a few ideas running in my head right now :)

Maddie have you considered hanging pots or other vertical gardening methods? I am considering doing that to get more space. Also, I think with plants up off the ground, I will have less critter issues.

Reaction score
I already have hanging pots and pots on wall holders That is how I can even have a garden. But, now I am thinking of using bottles to grow more herbs in my kitchen. these vertical hanging bottles with bottles to catch the drippings may be just the thing in need. I will have to get some help to get this going. Strong wires to hold the bottles and tray to catch any spills. I don want my neighbors complaining.

Reaction score
I have been wondering if it was possible to garden indoors during the winter time and you just answered my question. I assume I would have to pick a window in the house that receives the most sunlight. I cannot wait to try this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I already have hanging pots and pots on wall holders That is how I can even have a garden. But, now I am thinking of using bottles to grow more herbs in my kitchen. these vertical hanging bottles with bottles to catch the drippings may be just the thing in need. I will have to get some help to get this going. Strong wires to hold the bottles and tray to catch any spills. I don want my neighbors complaining.

I was thinking of using the bottles also, but they leach chemicals into the soil when exposed to sunlight over time. What I have started using indoors instead are the soft cartons you get can soups and other liquids in now like this one:

41CG%2BsfhV4L._AA160_.jpg

You could punch holes in the top for hanging and suspend several in tiers just like with the bottles. Have you seen the bottle gardens with the "window' cut into the upside down bottle?
7051849995_f4036f11a0.jpg

The same thing could be done with the carton, but it's probably best to use terra cotta or some kind of earthenware.

Reaction score
Most of my containers are terracotta. I have very few plastic containers. I have a deal with potters as I used to buy clay from the for my craft work. I use the broken earthen pots to fill the bottom of container for better drainage.
I think I will still reuse these plastic bottles for a growing season, at least that way we could reduce waste. For me this can mean more space to grow as they are light and I can hang them on my kitchen window grills. It is worth a try. Thanks a ton for the response.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Most of my containers are terracotta. I have very few plastic containers. I have a deal with potters as I used to buy clay from the for my craft work. I use the broken earthen pots to fill the bottom of container for better drainage.
I think I will still reuse these plastic bottles for a growing season, at least that way we could reduce waste. For me this can mean more space to grow as they are light and I can hang them on my kitchen window grills. It is worth a try. Thanks a ton for the response.

Cool, let me know how it goes. I am going to try and do something that hangs across the window, maybe on a curtain rod.

I am saving plastic bottles to make a greenhouse. I'm not sure how long it will take since I would need over a thousand bottles, but I think if I get a few people to save with me I could do it in a few months. This "shed" was made entirely of bottles, but I wonder how sturdy it is.

bottleshed2-101508.jpg

This one has a frame, but it would require tools and carpentry skills I don't have, lol.
bottleshed1-101508.jpg

Reaction score
Cool, let me know how it goes. I am going to try and do something that hangs across the window, maybe on a curtain rod.

I am saving plastic bottles to make a greenhouse. I'm not sure how long it will take since I would need over a thousand bottles, but I think if I get a few people to save with me I could do it in a few months. This "shed" was made entirely of bottles, but I wonder how sturdy it is.

bottleshed2-101508.jpg

This one has a frame, but it would require tools and carpentry skills I don't have, lol.
bottleshed1-101508.jpg

Best wishes to you too Chanell. All I can do is hang a few bottles and plant some seeds. Since there is not much of a winter here as soon as i can get the basic structure to hold up and ensure that there is no dripping or spilling I am ready to go.
I will let you know how it goes and post pictures as the plants grow.
A green house would be awesome :)

Reaction score

Now this is interesting. I suppose you would need to save bottles for at least 3-6 months. I buy bottled water so it might not take too long. However, I doubt if mine would look as nice as the one pictured. My little bottle greenhouse would probably be leaning to one side and the roof probably would not be straight. That's why the Amazon portable greenhouses are so appealing.

Ask a Question