Fake flowers

Reaction score
Wilagusta here. Remember me? And yes, Maddie girlfriend, I am waaaaay serious. That patch of dirt in my front yard is giving me the blues. I want flowers out there, but I want them to be beautiful and pleasing to the eye now, not in a few months, after growing from seed, lol.

All the flowers you mentioned, the peace lilies, verbena and lantana, do they all thrive on neglect?? because that is what I need. Not that I plan to neglect them, but I may not want to fuss with them so much.

Lol @ "grow your fake flowers in pots." What do you mean I could mix them up for some stunning effects? Please explain:oops: . I really consider myself a green thumb, because I can make my plants grow pretty well, but those are all indoor plants, and any plants that I grow on the outside are just plants, not flowers.

By mixing them up, do you mean a lot of colors? I was thinking to maybe just stick to one color scheme because I was thinking if I put too many (fake) flower colors outside, it may look kind of "bad easter-egg colored funeral-burial-ground:eek::eek:" as opposed to elegant front yardo_O .
I want it to look nice, not in the least bit tacky. The rectangular space is a raised brick space, full of dirt, probably had some sort of flowers in it at one time. It is about 10 to 15 feet long, about 2 feet wide, and about 2 feet high.

Reaction score
Yes, I have to admit it as well. When it comes to the interior of my apartment, I will only have fake flowers. If one has real flowers in their home then it will die quickly causing you to conitune buying flowers. Flowers are costly--real ones anyway and I don't have the time nor the money to waste on buying flowers every week. I think the fake flowers are just as pretty and more convenient.

Reaction score
Wilagusta here. Remember me? And yes, Maddie girlfriend, I am waaaaay serious. That patch of dirt in my front yard is giving me the blues. I want flowers out there, but I want them to be beautiful and pleasing to the eye now, not in a few months, after growing from seed, lol.

All the flowers you mentioned, the peace lilies, verbena and lantana, do they all thrive on neglect?? because that is what I need. Not that I plan to neglect them, but I may not want to fuss with them so much.

Lol @ "grow your fake flowers in pots." What do you mean I could mix them up for some stunning effects? Please explain:oops: . I really consider myself a green thumb, because I can make my plants grow pretty well, but those are all indoor plants, and any plants that I grow on the outside are just plants, not flowers.

By mixing them up, do you mean a lot of colors? I was thinking to maybe just stick to one color scheme because I was thinking if I put too many (fake) flower colors outside, it may look kind of "bad easter-egg colored funeral-burial-ground:eek::eek:" as opposed to elegant front yardo_O .
I want it to look nice, not in the least bit tacky. The rectangular space is a raised brick space, full of dirt, probably had some sort of flowers in it at one time. It is about 10 to 15 feet long, about 2 feet wide, and about 2 feet high.

Hi Wilagusta, I do remember you. Yes, all of them thrive on neglect. I mean that.. what do you mean by 'any plants that I grow on the outside are just plants, not flowers'? If you have a green thumb why would you even consider fake flowers.
I meant mix up your real plants and fake flowers for some stunning effect. Get some fake plants too if you need too :) I have one fake but real looking ivy that grows on my window where I get no sunlight and it is impossible to have real plants. No, I don't mean mix up all the colors if you don't like it.. I generally use a couple of colors to make the space in corridor look dramatic.

Reaction score
Hi Wilagusta, I do remember you. Yes, all of them thrive on neglect. I mean that.. what do you mean by 'any plants that I grow on the outside are just plants, not flowers'? If you have a green thumb why would you even consider fake flowers.
I meant mix up your real plants and fake flowers for some stunning effect. Get some fake plants too if you need too :) I have one fake but real looking ivy that grows on my window where I get no sunlight and it is impossible to have real plants. No, I don't mean mix up all the colors if you don't like it.. I generally use a couple of colors to make the space in corridor look dramatic.
What I mean by they are just plants, means that there are really no blooms. I have a few green plants, but as far as I know, they are not flowering plants, I guess one would call them. Like palms.
I have only tried my hand at growing (flowers) poinsettias inside of my house. I had one successful flower, and 3 unsuccessful flowers. They all had lots of red leaves when I got them, but only one out of 4 survived.

I tend to think that green plants are just hardier than delicate flowers, that is why I was asking if these plants you wrote about could thrive without being tended to obsessively.

Okay, I understand about what you're saying about mixing the real with the fake. I'm really leaning towards just the fake for outside in my front yard. Just like you are saying about your ivy in a window that does not get sun, the area in my yard really does not get that much sun either, plus it's under a tree. I just don't want to plant stuff out there, only to have it die because the conditions aren't ideal:(.

Reaction score
Real plants improve air quality in any room. Plants release life-giving oxygen into the air, while removing harmful toxins that are floating around in the average home. If you have one REAL plant in every room, this will significantly improve the air you breathe.

No plants, fake plants and artificial flowers, coupled with a poor diet and excessive use of microwave ovens, is the primary reason cancer is so rampant in our society. Think about it, say you lived in a tropical rainforest, never used a microwave oven, and ate a relatively healthy diet, do you think cancer would be the cause of your demise?

This may be beyond the scope of this forum, and for that I do apologize, but here are some facts you might want to know about using a microwave oven:
  • A microwave oven decays and changes the molecular structure of the food by the process of radiation. Had the manufacturers accurately called them "radiation ovens", it's doubtful they would have ever sold one, but that's exactly what a microwave oven is.
  • In Dr. Lita Lee's book, Health Effects of Microwave Radiation - Microwave Ovens, she stated that every microwave oven leaks electro-magnetic radiation, harms food, and converts substances cooked in it to dangerous organ-toxic and carcinogenic products.
  • In Robert O. Becker's book, The Body Electric, he described Russian research on the health effects of microwave radiation, which they called "microwave sickness." First signs of Microwave sickness are low blood pressure and slow pulse. The later and most common manifestations are chronic excitation of the sympathetic nervous system and high blood pressure. M.S. often includes headache, dizziness, eye pain, sleeplessness, irritability, anxiety, stomach pain, nervous tension, inability to concentrate, hair loss, plus an increased incidence of appendicitis, cataracts, reproductive problems, and cancer. The chronic symptoms are eventually succeeded by crisis of adrenal exhaustion, heart disease, blockage of coronary arteries, and heart attacks.
Now here are a few reasons to have live plants:
  • Plants Help Clean the Air. When you breathe, your body takes in oxygen and releases carbon dioxide. During photosynthesis, plants absorb carbon dioxide and release oxygen. This opposite pattern of gas use makes plants and people natural partners.
  • Plants help control humidity indoors. Humidity helps prevent the air from becoming too dry. When the air is too dry, we become more susceptible to colds and flus, and poor skin.
  • Plants improve your quality of life, overall health, and the energy in your living space. According to researchers at Kansas State University, adding plants to hospital rooms speeds recovery rates of surgical patients. Compared to patients in rooms without plants, patients in rooms with plants request less pain medication, have lower heart rates and blood pressure, experience less fatigue and anxiety, and are released from the hospital sooner.
Bottom-line, lose the microwave and add live plants to your surroundings. I gave up my microwave a few years ago after reading the book, "Natural Cures, What They Don't Want You to Know," by Kevin Trudeau. My kids have not missed the microwave at all and when they are adults and on their own, more than likely they won't use microwaves either. Also, next time you visit a friend or relative, especially if you are invited to dinner, you might want to take a peek inside of their microwave oven, because more than 50% of people who use a microwave, don't keep it that clean.

Reaction score
What I mean by they are just plants, means that there are really no blooms. I have a few green plants, but as far as I know, they are not flowering plants, I guess one would call them. Like palms.
I have only tried my hand at growing (flowers) poinsettias inside of my house. I had one successful flower, and 3 unsuccessful flowers. They all had lots of red leaves when I got them, but only one out of 4 survived.

I tend to think that green plants are just hardier than delicate flowers, that is why I was asking if these plants you wrote about could thrive without being tended to obsessively.

Okay, I understand about what you're saying about mixing the real with the fake. I'm really leaning towards just the fake for outside in my front yard. Just like you are saying about your ivy in a window that does not get sun, the area in my yard really does not get that much sun either, plus it's under a tree. I just don't want to plant stuff out there, only to have it die because the conditions aren't ideal:(.

You could have green plants like ferns which do not need too much sun and still look so pretty.. or ivy which again does not require much sunshine but is lovely even without the flowers. Herbs, lettuce etc could also be planted outside..
I don't think you should give up on growing plants so easily.. you could have the fakes while the rest is growing.
LOL task is now trying to convince you real hard.

Reaction score
You could have green plants like ferns which do not need too much sun and still look so pretty.. or ivy which again does not require much sunshine but is lovely even without the flowers. Herbs, lettuce etc could also be planted outside..
I don't think you should give up on growing plants so easily.. you could have the fakes while the rest is growing.
LOL task is now trying to convince you real hard.
Herbs and lettuce, hmm, now that is interesting. I don't want "food" out there though... rodents!! Lol, now my task is to get you not to give up on me about these flowers and plants:).

I was thinking about ferns. Ivy? I don't know. What I'm going to have to do, is do some online homework about the flowers that you have recommended, see what they cost, and figure out about how many I will need to put in the front of my house.

There is another piece to the puzzle that I didn't mention. I have a neighbor who has a lot of nice flowers all around. I want my plants to look good so that when she comes outside, she won't take one look at my plants and shake her head in pity, and say to herself, "She's trying to grow some plants:eek: , tsk, tsk, tsk." I want my display to be up to a certain standard;).

The good part about it is that Spring is coming, so the weather is starting to warm up. If I do decide to put real plants out there, the warm weather will help them to thrive.

Jed

Reaction score
You made some good points taskeinc.
I've never owned a micro wave oven. A woodstove is the only way we cook here.
Because I live in a forest I am quite aware the air is so fresh amongst the trees. Coming home from a day in my rural town is such a glorious feeling. The affect is more so after coming home from the major city. Having houseplants sounds like a good idea to freshen up the air we breath.
Fake plants can have there place if someone chooses to use them. Most of us here on gardeners forum would prefer the real thing though.

Reaction score
Herbs and lettuce, hmm, now that is interesting. I don't want "food" out there though... rodents!! Lol, now my task is to get you not to give up on me about these flowers and plants:).

I was thinking about ferns. Ivy? I don't know. What I'm going to have to do, is do some online homework about the flowers that you have recommended, see what they cost, and figure out about how many I will need to put in the front of my house.

There is another piece to the puzzle that I didn't mention. I have a neighbor who has a lot of nice flowers all around. I want my plants to look good so that when she comes outside, she won't take one look at my plants and shake her head in pity, and say to herself, "She's trying to grow some plants:eek: , tsk, tsk, tsk." I want my display to be up to a certain standard;).

The good part about it is that Spring is coming, so the weather is starting to warm up. If I do decide to put real plants out there, the warm weather will help them to thrive.
That is the spirit! If you don't want food there that is fine.. yeah with spring at hand all things are possible.. aren't they? I mentioned herbs and lettuce as they are easy to grow and look lush green. I enjoy using herbs in my food... and have them all over my home growing in containers.
Nope with those flowers you cannot fail.. don't worry... You can do it!! They are pretty hardy and don't cost you so much :)

Reaction score
Yes, I have to admit it as well. When it comes to the interior of my apartment, I will only have fake flowers. If one has real flowers in their home then it will die quickly causing you to conitune buying flowers. Flowers are costly--real ones anyway and I don't have the time nor the money to waste on buying flowers every week. I think the fake flowers are just as pretty and more convenient.

I hate to waste money on cut flowers too. I'm thinking of mixing some fake stuff and dried real stuff for my dining room table. So I might buy some of the fake branches of the fake pink cherry blossoms from Walmart and mix them with some real dried pussy willow branches. Even if I go fake for the flowers on my dining table, I still want it to look branchy and woodsy and artistic.
I saw some fake moss rocks at Walmart that are really cute.

Reaction score
While they can never fully replace authentic ones, fake flowers can look very presentable these days, in fact I used fakes for my wedding last March, they were lovely, less expensive, the ones i kept are a permanant memento, and I was able to resell those I did not want to keep to further reduce their cost. I'm afraid my green thumb does not extend to potted plants or cut flowers so I have a few sprays of fakes around the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here is a simple guide on how to make a fake flower from paper:
stylowi_pl_diy-zrob-to-sam_782059.jpg

O course it's not the same as real flowers but at least this one won't wither:p

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not had fake flowers in my home because I have so many real ones. We do have a neighbor that has some good looking fake flowers in her flower bed. I had to look real close to tell they were not real. Some the fake plants are very real like.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I really don't like fake flowers made from plastic, I find them very tacky but these made from fabric or paper are rather nice. Here are other guides:

_kwiatek-na-bluzke-lub-firanke_589879.jpg

stylowi_pl_diy-zrob-to-sam_311244.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I have a mixture of fake and real plants, and I am totally happy with doing that. I love real plants, but the fake ones add bright color and beauty to my little trailer house, even when the real ones are not doing much. I have used them outside also, and liked the interesting effect. I tied little fake flowers on one of my azaleas, and people would just stop in the middle of the road, driving by, and ask me how on earth I got my azalea to bloom that early in the spring. It was great fun ! And I had a rose that "bloomed" all winter in the Idaho snow, and lots of comments on how cheerful it looked, and just people walking out to see if it was real, and coming back laughing.....

Ask a Question