Fake plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Would anyone consider buying fake plants? I have a friend who loves them.
I love the look of hydrangeas and orchids. However, I can't keep my orchid alive for more then a few months. It also gets expensive to constantly have fresh hydrangeas in the house.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
I have mixed fake flowers and dried in the house with real plants. Sometimes it just makes more sense and if you want to extend a feeling of green in the home it might be the best idea. Occasionally there is a spot where no matter what you do no plant could grow, be it light or just the temperature.

My favorite fake plants are the dozen metal roses I have. When I was younger I worked in a district that had an annual art show every year and there was an artist that made wonderful cooper roses. I didn't have much money then so I bought one ever year till I had a dozen, Those are my roses that will never die. I have silk white tulips in another room for the winter, in the spring I put cut lilacs in that spot. About the only downside to the silk plants is they get dusty. You can wash them but eventually they have to be replaced.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Would anyone consider buying fake plants?

No, it seems like a slap in the face to mother nature. Everything we produce is already pollution to the Earth, so I guess it makes sense that our specie would also produce fake plants in attempt to supplement the happiness that a real plant gives. :confused: So ironic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not a big fan of fake flowers, because most of them look really weird and tacky.
However, my boyfriend made an origami rose bouquet for me some time ago and I absolutely love it:love:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fake flowers I don't like and I don't recommend. I know people who just like them and have them along with beautiful real flowers, and I'm okay if they get personal joy from having them. I love natural plants and flowers around inside and outside the home. I also agree that it can be expensive maintaining flowering plants like orchids inside but there are also green potted plants that do the job extremely well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I also have friends who decorate their living room and even bedroom with fake plants. My sister's bedroom has a small jungle with a fountain and fake plants that looked real. But for me, I would always prefer real plants because there are indoor plants that can be used for decorating the interior of the house. Like what I had posted in another thread, our welcome plant is a very apt decoration for the living room with the glossy green leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not a big fan of fake flowers, because most of them look really weird and tacky.
However, my boyfriend made an origami rose bouquet for me some time ago and I absolutely love it:love:
I definitely agree with you. A lot of times they do look tacky. However, I think some of them (especially the colorful ones) look pretty. They brighten up a room. Plus it is so pricey to constantly have fresh flowers in the house especially if you don't have a plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't like fake plants or flowers. I don't even like cut flowers because I feel like we are robbing their lives and cut it short, lol..There are people who called these fake flowers silk flowers, but they are still fake to me, and they love having these arranged all over their house. I rather have real plants growing in a pot if I am going to have one indoors.

Reaction score
My mom has fake flowers and to be honest I don't like those, they look so fake and ugly. Plus if you are not careful they accumulate a lot dust and cleaning them can be such a pain :( I prefer to stay away from those for now, we will see what I think in the future, but for now no :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only good thing about fake flowers is that you don't have to feed or water them very much, diseases are rare and very few insects bother them. Fake fruit like apples and bananas should be banned IMO, as they are detrimental to your teeth and taste terrible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I definitely agree with you. A lot of times they do look tacky. However, I think some of them (especially the colorful ones) look pretty. They brighten up a room. Plus it is so pricey to constantly have fresh flowers in the house especially if you don't have a plant.
It definitely is pricey, but I think it's worth it:) Fresh flowers are the prettiest. And if you take a good care of them and change their water regularly, they can last many days:)
One of my cut roses lasted for more than two weeks:)

Reaction score
I only buy fake plants to display indoors in my also fake table. It's a fake table because I don't really use it for anything practical, it's just a display near my door. I don't love my fake plants as much as my real ones, even the flowers are plastic and they my eyes and my sensibilities so I rarely buy some anymore.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like them for indoor purposes. I try to keep up with my plants(especially flowers, I just love them) but sometimes I just don't have the time to keep up with it and take proper care of them. If they aren't atrocious, I'll use them when I feel I have to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I have some fake ones, but I like the real thing better. I just find the fake ones don't look as realistic - but they do help give my house that feeling of having fresh cut flowers all the time.

If I have the choice though, and they are priced right, I always prefer the real thing over fake.

Ask a Question