Easy things to grow for beginners?

Reaction score
I would really enjoy starting to garden and plant things but I don't exactly know what would be the best things to plant since I don't have a lot of experience. Any suggestions? Also, what supplies would I need to start off? Thanks everyone!

Reaction score
So much depends on your goals. Are you looking for a vegetable garden that you can eat and can from? Or do you want a flower or other decorative garden? What sort of space do you have to work with? How much time do you think you'll want to devote to it? What about your location--does it limit your growing season or what kinds of plants will grow there? Do you want to start from seed, or do you want established plants for your garden?

My first attempt (as an adult) at gardening was just a little too ambitious, and I didn't really do much planning. I grew everything from seed, rather than established plants, in a garden plot that was far too big for me to be able to keep weeded, in a section of the property that just wasn't suitable. As a result, the garden didn't fare well. It didn't have the right lighting, soil, or much else going for it, and it was too far from the house for me to really give it the attention it needed. I did get some produce from it, but not nearly as much as I could have had I just taken a little time in planning beforehand.

Regardless of what kind of garden you want to do, I'd suggest starting small just to be sure you actually want to garden, and that you have time to devote to it. In that case, you can do container gardens on a patio, or even in a good windowsill.

Once you decide what kind of garden you want, do a bit of reading. The thing about gardening is that you can make it as simple or as complex as you want, and most garden-type plants are fairly hardy and can survive a beginner's mistakes to a large extent (the two exceptions that come to mind are over watering and over fertilizing), but you'll be much happier if you learn a little about the plants you want to grow before you find out the hard way what they need to thrive.

One thing to remember is that while nurseries are usually good about not offering plants that are out of their growing zones, places like superstores aren't nearly so careful. You might end up with an exotic plant that survives in the store because it's sheltered, and find that in your garden it dies immediately. On the other hand, nurseries can be more expensive, but you usually get a lot of support from the staff. Just tell them you're a raw novice, and a good nursery will have people falling all over themselves to help you. They love sharing their passion.

As for supplies, that's going to depend entirely on your goals and space.

Reaction score
I agree with Trace it depends on what you want to grow. If you are looking for greenery or flowers look for hardy plants like pothos, rhododendrons, succulents that flower or look pretty depending on your choice.. all these plants can thrive on neglect. Flowers like zinnias, verbenas, cosmos, lantana, petunias, impatiens are colourful and are easy to grow.
Herbs like basil, rosemary, thyme , mint etc can be grown from the stem that you would usually throw away after using the leaves. Stick them into some potting soil water them when the soil feels dry and watch them grow.
These are plants anyone can try their gardening skills on.

Reaction score
May be, look at your food cost and take note of which herb/plant cost you more. Then you may want to grow that.

Reaction score
I've heard rhubarb is very easy and efficient to grow. It is very hardy and strong. As you may well know, it is also delicious in a crumble pie! It has been known to take over the garden though, so keep a good eye on it! The other great fact about rhubarb is that it will last a long time before having to throw it away.

Reaction score
My mother always said it was hard to kill an aloe vera plant. (Then she started watering it regularly and it nearly died.)

Reaction score
I started my first garden last year and it was a trial garden because I tend to kill any kind of plant I'm I'm charge of lol!! I stared very small I had my husband build me a 2ft x 4ft box filled it with good soil and planted 2 established tomato plants some chocolate mint ( which I only bought because it smelled so good!) and a strawberry plant! I put cages over my tomatoes and watered everyday! I had more tomatoes than we could eat my mint grew like crazy but something was eating my strawberries (I suspect the neighborhood raccoon!) I'm still new at this gardening thing but for a beginner that's what worked for me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion you should buy plants that you like the most and don't worry too much:) . My very first plant was a miniature rose and they aren't the easiest plants to grow. But I fell in love with it and even though I'm still a beginner, I slowly learn how to take care of my roses and they're already really healthy and they bloom beautifully:D

Reaction score
You could always try growing ''wandering jew'' plants, those are very resistant and don't require a lot of care. My passion for gardening actually started thanks to them :) I just loved how many different types of this plant are out there: the purple ones, the furry ones, the green ones with stripes and the ones that are all green :)

Reaction score
I think you can start with the little flowers that have been grown already at the store. You can start to learn how to take care of it at home and see it grows. You will gain valuable experiences from taking care of little things and then you can take care of big things later on. I always love to take care of the little roses I found at the supermarket or the little plants. They're such a treat. After you see how to take care of them, you can move on to bigger things on your own. You can check out Walmart. They have so many little plants for you to buy to take care of.

Reaction score
I think you can start with the little flowers that have been grown already at the store. You can start to learn how to take care of it at home and see it grows. You will gain valuable experiences from taking care of little things and then you can take care of big things later on. I always love to take care of the little roses I found at the supermarket or the little plants. They're such a treat. After you see how to take care of them, you can move on to bigger things on your own. You can check out Walmart. They have so many little plants for you to buy to take care of.

Agreed, if you're new to gardening, you should start with small store bought plants and take care of them. I once bought a tiny parlor palm for $1.25 at the supermarket and it's huge now. Once you've gotten comfortable with plant care, you can do more ambitious things like plant a a garden and grow things from seed.

Reaction score
I agree with Dim ... radishes, green onions. We always had luck with tomatoes, but make sure you pick the right season to plant ... I've heard they need the nighttime to get below 70 degrees for them to mature properly. Cherry tomatoes are a good bet. We also always do well with a squash plant.
If you do tomatoes, make sure you have some cages ready. Those things will/can grow fast!

Ask a Question