Dying rose plant!

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Hello everyone! Recently one of my rose plants have been wilting. The leaves are drying and falling off and the stems are turning from green to brown. Is there anything that I can do to revive the plant?

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_103821.jpg
    IMG_20210911_103821.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210911_103748.jpg
    IMG_20210911_103748.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, welcome to the Forum.

How long has your rose been in that container? The soil in the pot looks rather dense and clay-like. Looser soil mixes with faster drainage are best for container plants such as your rose. I would recommend repotting it with new potting soil or even planting it in the ground, if possible. There may be other plant cultural issues as well, but first I would look into improving the plant's soil and drainage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hello, welcome to the Forum.

How long has your rose been in that container? The soil in the pot looks rather dense and clay-like. Looser soil mixes with faster drainage are best for container plants such as your rose. I would recommend repotting it with new potting soil or even planting it in the ground, if possible. There may be other plant cultural issues as well, but first I would look into improving the plant's soil and drainage.
My potted roses even turn their buds up at some potting soils that pack down too much. Finicky things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome raiyan29. :)

Roses are better grown in the ground as they are hungry and thirsty plants. If that's not possible then I suggest a bigger pot with new soil. Water regularly at the base of the rose keeping the stems and leaves dry, this helps to keep them clear of disease. I would also feed them once a month during the growing/flowering season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome raiyan29. :)

Roses are better grown in the ground as they are hungry and thirsty plants. If that's not possible then I suggest a bigger pot with new soil. Water regularly at the base of the rose keeping the stems and leaves dry, this helps to keep them clear of disease. I would also feed them once a month during the growing/flowering season.
*just not in my clay....

Actually if these ever leave me I doubt I grow hybrids again here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Roses will grow in all soils DirtMechanic. What is wrong with your plants?

They can prosper in a pot, even across winter here, outside. However, every single time, in all corners of the yard, once I place them in the clay soil they begin to die. This last go I had five and saved 4 by digging them back up and potting them. Our soil is such that you may dig a hole, fill it with water, and the water will still be there tomorrow. I really believe it drowns them, but choking for air is almost the same, as the compost disappears over the course of a year. Even our trees grow on top of the soil, or have shallow but wide roots like the maple and cherry and birch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's waterlogging that's a problem then, not easy to solve and land drainage would cost a fortune. :( The only other way is raised beds but no doubt that's already occurred to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It's waterlogging that's a problem then, not easy to solve and land drainage would cost a fortune. :( The only other way is raised beds but no doubt that's already occurred to you.

I have knockouts and some red cascades in hardwood mulch up high and they prosper. I tried that with the hybrids and maybe I did not have them high enough or even then it was in a low area. So much rain. So now they are in 12 inch terra cotta pots in bagged potting soil but not happy. One day I will figure it out. They are in saucers but I think I may just set them on the ground or even up on a spacer of some sort. I have one that looked bad today when I walked by. I have had them in that setup before and it was fine but it was across the yard with a better noon sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
How often do you feed those in pots @DirtMechanic? I suggest you remove the saucers as they will have the same effect as with the clay. They need to drain off any excess water.
I took the saucers away today. I pulled a root that died and the potting soil is just wet muck. Obviously a concoction aimed at houseplants. On the bright side I found a source for importing coir by the ton weight. It was a fertilized potting soil that I had on hand and when I dug the roses out of the bed I used it. I fertilized once a couple months later. EC meter in the water down below read 2 something later so maybe it was too hot as well but I doubt it for a water reading.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Even though it's late in the growing season I would suggest feeding the roses just once until the new season next year. Let them dry out a bit first though. All that water will have taken any nutrients out of the soil. I've never used coir so don't know how plants respond to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Even though it's late in the growing season I would suggest feeding the roses just once until the new season next year. Let them dry out a bit first though. All that water will have taken any nutrients out of the soil. I've never used coir so don't know how plants respond to it.
I dont use it either. Mostly something like vermiculite drains enough here. I would not want something too dry even with the odd rain this year. Next year it is liable to drought.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
would not want something too dry even with the odd rain this year. Next year it is liable to drought.

There's no pleasing us gardeners! With England having had a wet year, up here in Scotland we've had a great summer. I've been watering new shrubs every week and trees are shutting down, particularly Sycamores, before the usual leaf fall.

Ask a Question