Dying / sick grapevine

nv5

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
I had a healthy grapevine, until I cut it with pruning shears without cleaning first from previous pruning.... I know very very bad idea... :-(

So I assume I gave it a sickness from another plant.

Is there anything I can do to help my grapevine to get better?

Pictures of the vine in the attachment (the stem also have brown spots)

Initially i tought it was mildew. The grapes themself have some kind of mold on it.

Also, this season we had more rain then other years, but the 'dying' started (or at least I noticed) since I cut off some leaves.

Many thanks for the help.

Attachments

• gezonde druivelaar.jpeg
    gezonde druivelaar.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Ongezonde druivelaar 2.jpeg
    Ongezonde druivelaar 2.jpeg
    77.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Ongezonde druivelaar 3.jpeg
    Ongezonde druivelaar 3.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Ongezonde druivelaar 4.jpeg
    Ongezonde druivelaar 4.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Ongezonde druivelaar 5.jpeg
    Ongezonde druivelaar 5.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Ongezonde druivelaar.jpeg
    Ongezonde druivelaar.jpeg
    45.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The only thing I can see from the picture is slight yellowing on the new growth and to fix this I would fertilize. Please show what you think is wrong with the plant.

nv5

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
The only thing I can see from the picture is slight yellowing on the new growth and to fix this I would fertilize. Please show what you think is wrong with the plant.
On daily basis the leaves fall of in dozens. The leaves themself don't really seem healthy (there isnt a full green one anymore) nor do the grapes look that good themself.

(The picture where the vine looks healthy was from 1 month before)

Attachments

• Ongezonde druivelaar 3.jpeg
    Ongezonde druivelaar 3.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Ongezonde druivelaar 4.jpeg
    Ongezonde druivelaar 4.jpeg
    64.9 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On daily basis the leaves fall of in dozens. The leaves themself don't really seem healthy (there isnt a full green one anymore) nor do the grapes look that good themself.

(The picture where the vine looks healthy was from 1 month before)
This looks like the results of powdery mildew of grape. Have you noticed any white color on the leaves and fruit? Has the weather been really wet and or humid? Do the grapes shrivel up and turn brownish?

nv5

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
This looks like the results of powdery mildew of grape. Have you noticed any white color on the leaves and fruit? Has the weather been really wet and or humid? Do the grapes shrivel up and turn brownish?
Yes I have seen the white color (powdery) on leaves and fruit. Also, this summer has been exceptionally wet this year. And a lot of grapes also tend to shrivel up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes I have seen the white color (powdery) on leaves and fruit. Also, this summer has been exceptionally wet this year. And a lot of grapes also tend to shrivel up.
Your vine will soon start losing its leaves for the winter but in the meantime spray the vine thoroughly with horticultural oil or Neem Oil. Remove all fallen leaves and burn them. When all of the leaves have fallen spray with the oil the entire vine. Spray again with the oil in the spring right before bud break. After the vine has leafed out spray with wettable sulfur or baking soda.

Ask a Question