Is my Roselle plant dying?

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I noticed a lot of white dots around my Roselle plant, are those bugs eating my plant, or just part of the plant itself?
Should I remove them?

Attachments

• IMG_1049.JPG
    IMG_1049.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_1051.JPG
    IMG_1051.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_1052.JPG
    IMG_1052.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 306
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I noticed a lot of white dots around my Roselle plant, are those bugs eating my plant, or just part of the plant itself?
Should I remove them?
What you have is scale insects. They will kill you plant if left alone. Spray with Neem Oil every 5-7 days for 3 weeks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks @Chuck, not sure where I can find Neem Oil, will it work if I just wash them off?
No. You must kill them and their eggs. You can also use horticultural oil. Neem is best because it also acts as an insecticide but the oils also smothers them and their eggs. Where you live Neem should be easy to find.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa), also known as Jamaica-flower, in the Mallow Family (Malvaceae) is originally native to tropical Africa, but is now cultivated throughout the tropics and subtropics for a number of useful products, such as bast fiber, edible leaves, and most famously, fleshy, red calyces, which have a tart, fruity flavour and can be made into teas, punches. preserves, food coloring, and other edible products. Roselle is also an attractive garden plant with numerous cultivars that differ in flower color, leaf shape, and other traits.

A useful illustration showing some of the morphological variation of Hibiscus sabdariffa.
Tetteh%205.png

The infestation shown in the OP is some type of Homopteran insect (Coccomorpha, Homoptera) with sucking mouthparts. Coccomorpha is a large group that includes both Scale and Mealybugs.

Ask a Question