Tomato plant new growth dying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have no idea what can be wrong with these plants. I have 6 different varieties and it is only happening to one variety. The new growth seems to be dying. It looks like each stem is being burnt on the tips. Any thoughts?
6A63E5B6-BF6C-4C28-A287-185F811C9276.jpeg

228AFF5A-9013-403D-B398-262464BCCB91.jpeg

493F43D9-F0F5-4332-859B-4FDB612DD586.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have no idea what can be wrong with these plants. I have 6 different varieties and it is only happening to one variety. The new growth seems to be dying. It looks like each stem is being burnt on the tips. Any thoughts?
View attachment 83551
View attachment 83552
View attachment 83553
Is the plants color the same as all of the others or is it a lighter green. If it is a lighter green I would suspect a calcium deficiency or an inability to uptake calcium. This normally shows up as Blossom End Rot but not always. What is the variety of tomato?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The plants are all the same color. They are also planted in a raised bed with another variety. The tomato plant is a champagne bubble. The tomatoes that are on the bottom have started to ripen and there are no signs of blossom end rot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dont know of your location but did the temperature drop below 10 degrees at any point. Can be that this variety is a bit more sensitive to temperature or harsh conditions.
Doesnt look like blight but avoid overwatering too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I have never seen the dying tips like your pics show. It almost looks like a rot or wilt that turned to rot. It has been wet in my area this year as well as colder than average. My tomatoes don't taste great at the moment because of this. That said I notice you don't sucker which I believe is good practice. It increases airflow though your plants will generally be taller, which might be a problem for some people. Another weird issue I'm having this year is that I'm suckering but removing the main sucker by accident which is strange because I'm very experienced. Just a strange summer so far. Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
No the temperatures have been hot. 90s during the day and high 60s to low 70s at night. It has also been very dry. Not our usual summer here in Pennsylvania. I have been very unsuccessful on finding anything on google for the problem I am having.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Physiological leaf roll has multiple causes. My favorite description is that the tomato has an upset tummy. Wind can kill tips, but the dryness can cause it (plr) as well. So can chemicals and some bugs. And drainage of course. But out on some of the high tips the growth seems unusual. I am not familiar with that name though. Add to it that the surface of the leaves seem a little lumpy or rough which is a symptom generally but again I have not grown that tomato so I do not have a baseline healthy leaf to go by in my minds eye. More pics? Those are good, but the top tips of the leaders maybe?

Last edited:

Ask a Question