Dust Mulch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I suspect many gardeners have never heard of dust mulch.

According to Merriam Webster:

: a fine loose dry layer of surface soil maintained by cultivation under the assumption that it will prevent evaporation of soil moisture.
**************************************************************************************
This is not an assumption by farmers. It's been a practice for many years although those farmers may not know it's called a dust mulch and why it's effective.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
I am aware of Merriame Webster. Websters Dictionaries and encyclopedias. Sorry, but as a scientist. Dr. of Plant pathology & plant & soil sciences. Forgive me please, but what has promted this particular thread? No offence.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
I am aware of Merriame Webster. Websters Dictionaries and encyclopedias. Sorry, but as a scientist. Dr. of Plant pathology & plant & soil sciences. Forgive me please, but what has promted this particular thread? No offence.
My apologies. I fail to remember this is a foreign site to me where a garden is not a vegetable garden.

I was taught this dust mulch method in Botany class and it pertains more to vegetable gardening and farming, therefore I was under the impression some vegetable gardeners may benefit. I once again apologize for stepping on toes of those in the flower garden and this will be the last, I promise.

Now if I can recall which boxes I checked to receive e-mail notifications and un- check those I'll be completely out never to return.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My apologies. I fail to remember this is a foreign site to me where a garden is not a vegetable garden.

I was taught this dust mulch method in Botany class and it pertains more to vegetable gardening and farming, therefore I was under the impression some vegetable gardeners may benefit. I once again apologize for stepping on toes of those in the flower garden and this will be the last, I promise.

Now if I can recall which boxes I checked to receive e-mail notifications and un- check those I'll be completely out never to return.
I always enjoy your posts! I also know you have flair for drama! This is the 4th time you have seceded from the union at least to my knowledge. But this being a foreign site they may not get that reference the way you might!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I'm only a thick foreigner :happy: but I can't for the life of me understand what any of you are on about .....
1626253727541.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
For the last few weeks I have been buying marked down top soil at Walmart
it’s not dirt it is a super fine ground mulch .
perfect for holding moisture

Ask a Question