Drying Herbs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
How do you dry out your herbs to use all winter long? It would be nice to be able to save some basil. I have tried sun drying as well as dehydrating but I seem to run into the problem with mold attacking them even after I thought they were thoroughly dried. Is there a different process I need to do when drying herbs to keep them fresh and long lasting? It would be nice to be able to use my garden basil in my spaghetti in the winter months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How do you dry out your herbs to use all winter long? It would be nice to be able to save some basil. I have tried sun drying as well as dehydrating but I seem to run into the problem with mold attacking them even after I thought they were thoroughly dried. Is there a different process I need to do when drying herbs to keep them fresh and long lasting? It would be nice to be able to use my garden basil in my spaghetti in the winter months. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks!
I have found freezing works extremely well. I freeze the herbs with water in an ice tray or plastic container. It stays just as fresh as if you had just harvested it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Chuck's method of freezing is best for basil--keeps its flavor very well. I chop basil pretty fine, add just enough water to make a paste, pop it into ice cube trays or onto waxed paper on a flat tray (cookie sheet) and freeze. Then put it in a freezer bag and pull out what you need.
Be sure to label the freezer bag. Frozen chopped basil looks amazingly like frozen chopped spinach . . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know how to post a web site,but I found some good information on preservingyourharvest.com :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I collect my basil at the end of summer, washed, and laid the leaves on a baking sheet to put in the oven on low temperature. When they are dried enough, or crunchy, I just crumble them into little pieces and put them in the a jar to season my meat for cooking.

Reaction score

Although I too mostly preserve all my soft herbs by freezing them in ice cubes - as that is very definitely the next best thing to freshly picked herbs - as freezing helps to retain the full flavor - I do sometimes dry them.

If you are wishing to dry yours rather than freeze them - one of the preferred methods of drying herbs is to hang them up to dry inside - in an area that receives good light as well as good air circulation - mainly because herbs that are dried inside retain their color and have much more flavor than those that have been dried outside - due to the fact that herbs that have been fast dried outside in sunlight - more often than not result in the herbs losing all their color as well as a lot of their flavor - makes them very brittle too

So I don't think you would go to far wrong if you were to dry your herbs inside as suggested - so long as you remember not to make the bunches too big - as that can cause the herbs to go moldy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'll have to do the freezing when I move into a new place. I did hear that it does wonders but never really got into it.

Yeah I found the hard way to not overbunch haha. Mold grew happily in them. :/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
I had been drying mine in the oven but recently started hang drying. Kitchen smells great!
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b/ 8a
Country
United States
Anyone got any tips on drying chamomille? The blossoms tend to drop as the flowers dry :/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have found freezing works extremely well. I freeze the herbs with water in an ice tray or plastic container. It stays just as fresh as if you had just harvested it

I learnt something today. I shall try this method.

Reaction score
I learnt something today. I shall try this method.

Freezing herbs in ice cubes is very definitely the next best thing to fresh herbs and although I generally freeze the majority of my soft herbs in water - as they're also extremely good when frozen in olive oil or butter too - you may also like to give these a try

Ice cubes - Herb Butter.jpg

Also - as you have an abundance of different fruits in your garden and all kinds of fruits can be frozen as ice cubes as well, - either whole or in chunks - for example - blueberries, strawberries, raspberries or slices of lemon, mango, peach etc - you may also like to experiment with this idea

Ice cubes - Fruit.jpg

especially as they look really good when popped into summer drinks :)

Ask a Question