Does drying herbs with the microwave ruin them?

Reaction score
Hello everybody. My purple basil and sweet basil plants are growing very quickly, and I keep having to trim them. I have read the thread that was posted recently about freezing herbs in ice cubes, but I simply have too much basil to do it that way. I have read online that you can quickly dry herbs by placing them between paper towels and briefly microwaving them. I am concerned that this will ruin the flavor of my herbs. Have any of you tried doing this before? If so, would you recommend it? What are some of the best ways to dry herbs?

Reaction score
I've heard that drying herbs in the microwave is quite successful because of their low water content, and that they do retain their flavor, and although it sounds like a very quick and easy way of doing it, as yet have not tried it, due to the fact that I normally either as you mentioned, freeze mine in ice cubes or hang them to air dry.
If you do decide to go ahead and microwave yours - would be very interested to know how they turn out.

Reaction score
Why don't you try it with a few of them and then tell us how it went princess? I'd also like to find a fast and easy way to dry herbs, instead of waiting for days for mine to get done!

Reaction score
princess-bubblegum - I know I've already responded to your post - but I obviously wasn't being very observant yesterday when I did so, as I've only just realized that you mentioned that you grow purple basil, and although I've posted a thread on this, have so far had no responses - so wondered which ones you are growing, did you start them from seed and which do you think has the best flavor ?

Reaction score
That's a great idea, firelily! I actually like to do the same, but I'm a bit worried by the bugs that might be lurking around. I was reading about a carpentry project... you can build it, so you dry your herbs using the sun. Plus no bugs ever get access to the herbs. I can't find the link right now, but when I saw it, I thought it was super interesting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I wouldn't dry herbs in a microwave, it doesn't sound like a good idea, because they may lose their flavor.
I always air dry my herbs, it's a completely natural and very simple method. All you have to do is to tie your herbs as a bunch and hang them upside down:)

Reaction score
That's a great idea, firelily! I actually like to do the same, but I'm a bit worried by the bugs that might be lurking around. I was reading about a carpentry project... you can build it, so you dry your herbs using the sun. Plus no bugs ever get access to the herbs. I can't find the link right now, but when I saw it, I thought it was super interesting!
I'd like to see that once you find the link. I've never had a problem with bugs on my drying herbs and I've dried a lot of them.

Reaction score
Trellum . I think I know the sort of project your are talking about, especially as they use something very similar to that, for drying their fruit and vegetables over here, but have not, as yet, heard of anyone using it to dry their herbs.

I have to say that I too, have dried a lot of herbs and not once have I ever experienced a bug problem, but you know, you can hang herbs up to dry almost anywhere, it doesn't have to be outside, so long its an airy space and not too damp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Firelilly99, Trellum, I think it all depends on where you air dry your herbs. I always dry mine in the kitchen, where moquito nets are installed in the windows, so bugs don't have access to my mint and thyme:)

Reaction score
I'd like to see that once you find the link. I've never had a problem with bugs on my drying herbs and I've dried a lot of them.

I would love to, but even if I found it... it's in a different language :( It looked like a very easy project tho :) Maybe one those days I can at least post some pictyures of it. If I ever find it, that is!

Reaction score
Trellum . I think I know the sort of project your are talking about, especially as they use something very similar to that, for drying their fruit and vegetables over here, but have not, as yet, heard of anyone using it to dry their herbs.

I have to say that I too, have dried a lot of herbs and not once have I ever experienced a bug problem, but you know, you can hang herbs up to dry almost anywhere, it doesn't have to be outside, so long its an airy space and not too damp.

Oh yeah, I actually want to get one of those to dry my own tomatoes in the future :) Using the power of the sun... since dry tomatoes are so expensive! They're soooo easy to make at home tho!!!! By the way, that project can be used to dry herb ;) At least that's the main purpose the web site where I found it listed. That web site was filled with a lot easy projects! Great for people who like preserving things and so on.

When it comes to herbs or food... someone like me can't take risks ;)

Reaction score
Firelilly99, Trellum, I think it all depends on where you air dry your herbs. I always dry mine in the kitchen, where moquito nets are installed in the windows, so bugs don't have access to my mint and thyme:)

Yeah, I think so too :) I think drying them inside is better, but what do you do about the sunlight? Is it ok the herbs aren't under direct sunlight? or this can be done even when the room doesn't have plenty of light? I'm not an expert in the topic, obviously :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm not an expert either:p So far, I've only tried drying my herbs in the kitchen and everything seems to be fine. They aren't under direct sunlight there, but the space is airy, because we always leave the door open.

Reaction score
Trellum - you don't need sunlight to dry herbs, in fact drying herbs outside in sunlight, often results in herbs losing their color as well as a lot of their flavor and as I mentioned before, you can dry herbs almost anywhere, so long as it is an area that receives some light and has good air circulation - which includes inside. :)

Drying herbs inside is one of the preferred methods for preserving herbs, particularly as herbs that are dried inside retain their color and have much more flavor than those that are dried outside.

So I don't think you would go to far wrong to do as Claudine and Firefly already do and hang your herbs in the kitchen, a storeroom, a garage or any other area that has good air circulation, but just remember not to make the bunches too big, as that can cause the herbs to go moldy.

Ask a Question