Drying Basil

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have some fresh basil, I don't have a dehydrator. IF I was to dry it the oven, how would I go about it? What would I need to dry it outside? How long would it take? We are currently having kind of a wet and humid week. I don't know that the outside drying would work, although that might be preferable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well you certainly want to proceed with caution, unless you want to cook it and have yourself a glob of something I am not even sure what would taste like. I cannot say with any certainty but you might want to look elsewhere than the oven, but I would just go do a lot research to make sure you are getting it right. Best of luck to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I prefer not to dry basil, but to puree it with little water, throw the muck in ice cube trays, break out with hard into freezer bags and keep in the freezer to take a cube or two when needed. to plop in the sauce, etc. easier.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have some fresh basil, I don't have a dehydrator. IF I was to dry it the oven, how would I go about it? What would I need to dry it outside? How long would it take? We are currently having kind of a wet and humid week. I don't know that the outside drying would work, although that might be preferable.

I dry my herbs in the microwave (power level 7 - 30 seconds at a time until dry usually about 90 seconds total) when you dry them in the microwave they keep there color and retain the flavor and smell. I tried doing them in the oven but they got brown and it just didn't work for me. I use them fresh but like knowing that when there is snow on the ground I can still have my herbs fresher than I can buy. I don't have the space to freeze them what freezer room I have I use for the vegetables we grow and of course meat etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well you certainly want to proceed with caution, unless you want to cook it and have yourself a glob of something I am not even sure what would taste like. I cannot say with any certainty but you might want to look elsewhere than the oven, but I would just go do a lot research to make sure you are getting it right. Best of luck to you.
rz3000...people have used the oven to dry herbs for years. An oven is dry heat..you are not going to end up with "glob of something" that would indicate moisture. I have seen frozen basil, and used it from Trader Joes. Also the microwave tip seems interesting..Thanks everybody!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've always just hung the basil upside down in my closet to dry it. I always end up burning any herbs that I've tried to dry in the oven. I'm not sure about using a microwave but I would be careful not to start a fire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've always just hung the basil upside down in my closet to dry it. I always end up burning any herbs that I've tried to dry in the oven. I'm not sure about using a microwave but I would be careful not to start a fire.

Drying in the microwave is easy and safe if done right. ....you take 2 paper towels (not recycled paper towels) lay herbs (single level not piled up) cover with another paper towel and microwave..power level 7...for 30 seconds.... Most herbs take 90 seconds but only do them 30 seconds at a time. Lowering the power level is the trick. They will snap when touched when they are dry. They keep there original color when dried in the microwave and your kitchen will smell wonderful

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I might go ahead and try the microwave trick today if I get a chance, as it is beginning to look like it is now or never for my basil. I have been forgetting to use it. I also have some parsley that has seen better days. I have a lot of dry herbs and spices already but I can add to the collection I think. Thanks for posting!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I have plenty of basil at the end of the summer, I collected the leaves, and dried it on low heat in the oven, then crumbled them to put in jars for use to marinate my meat and fish and chicken. I have done this for many years, and didn't have to buy dried basil!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Drying in the microwave is easy and safe if done right. ....you take 2 paper towels (not recycled paper towels) lay herbs (single level not piled up) cover with another paper towel and microwave..power level 7...for 30 seconds.... Most herbs take 90 seconds but only do them 30 seconds at a time. Lowering the power level is the trick. They will snap when touched when they are dry. They keep there original color when dried in the microwave and your kitchen will smell wonderful
Thanks, I'll try that the next time. It would save me closet space if I could dry it that quickly. Usually, my house ends up smelling of dried herbs since I hang them in all the closets to make space. My friends joke that during the end of summer and fall, I make them hungry for Italian food because I inevitably end up smelling like basil, oregano, thyme, and the other spices. So thanks for the specific directions. I think the last time I tried to do it I did it for two minutes straight through.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks, I'll try that the next time. It would save me closet space if I could dry it that quickly. Usually, my house ends up smelling of dried herbs since I hang them in all the closets to make space. My friends joke that during the end of summer and fall, I make them hungry for Italian food because I inevitably end up smelling like basil, oregano, thyme, and the other spices. So thanks for the specific directions. I think the last time I tried to do it I did it for two minutes straight through.

I love the smell of sweet basil & rosemary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I lived in Egypt for nine years and quite often used to dry the herbs that I bought. I had a huge round metal tray, and I would lay out mint, dill and basil making sure I separated all the leaves. I would then put it out in the sun and turn the leaves every quarter of an hour or so. Within a very short time the hot sun would have dried the leaves and then I would put them in a jar ready to use. Now I am in the UK I cannot dry the herbs like that as the sun is not hot enough. Instead I place the leaves on a baking tray the same way that I put them on a tray in Egypt. Remembering to separate the leaves, and then dry them out in an oven putting them into a jar once they are finished.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don't use an oven to dry out my leaves. I wash them then lay then out on a paper towel for a few days. They eventually harden and I crumble them up to use as an herb. I usually do this as soon as the weather becomes cool, instead of losing all my fresh basil leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I lived in Egypt for nine years and quite often used to dry the herbs that I bought. I had a huge round metal tray, and I would lay out mint, dill and basil making sure I separated all the leaves. I would then put it out in the sun and turn the leaves every quarter of an hour or so. Within a very short time the hot sun would have dried the leaves and then I would put them in a jar ready to use. Now I am in the UK I cannot dry the herbs like that as the sun is not hot enough. Instead I place the leaves on a baking tray the same way that I put them on a tray in Egypt. Remembering to separate the leaves, and then dry them out in an oven putting them into a jar once they are finished.

One of the reasons I started useing the microwave to dry my herbs is because even though Idaho gets cold and snow in the winter our summers in sw Idaho are quite hot we stay in the triple digest (little above/little under) for much of summer and it's just to hot for the oven if you are drying a lot of herbs like I was. I do like your idea of drying in the sun and might try some of that next summer. Our season is ending now but I am already thinking towards next year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
When I have plenty of basil at the end of the summer, I collected the leaves, and dried it on low heat in the oven, then crumbled them to put in jars for use to marinate my meat and fish and chicken. I have done this for many years, and didn't have to buy dried basil!
How long did they take in the oven? I am just curious because I haven't done it before. I am going to try some in the microwave to see how it works, if that fails, I might end up doing them in the oven. It is just one of the ways that I can get the type of options I might need in terms of basil. It is just one of the good things that you can do to preserve your herbs.

Ask a Question