Can Someone Please Tell Me Why These Bushes Are Drying Out On One Side Only & What to do About It

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two of these doing the exact same thing. I live in Southern California. I tried researching it but couldn't find much in the way of answers. Oh, I'm a total gardening noob. Thanks. :)
IMG_20171007_084825250_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171007_084837628_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Are these bushes Mexican Oregano (polimentha longifoliara)? If so, the bottom and side aren't getting enough sun. Try cutting back the bush by about 1/3, shaping it into a more pyramidal shape (top narrow and bottom wide to get sun and water) and watch it take off!
Mexican Oregano not only has lovely tubular blooms that hummingbirds and butterflies love, it has a culinary use. It can be substituted for Italian or Greek oregano, but with a lighter hand.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure what they are but when I googled Mexican Oregano the images don't look like what I have here.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You can rub or crush the leaves and see what they smell like!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I see them at other houses in my neighborhood and they don't get cut back or pruned. Why is one side dried out while the other is doing well? What can I do to fix this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They look like Boxwood to me. Same thing as @alp suggested...not enough sun...or, do the stunted sides receive the prevailing winds? Temperature ranges for your area are?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They look like Boxwood to me. Same thing as @alp suggested...not enough sun...or, do the stunted sides receive the prevailing winds? Temperature ranges for your area are?

@MoonShadows Love the way you raised my status on the forum. I am afraid it was the wonderful @marlingardener who pointed that out. I didn't have a clue. I totally agree with @marlingardener - could be wind damage or sun scorch ..

Prevailing winds can do a lot of damage..

Reaction score
Country
United States
They do look like Boxwoods except that mine have little purple flowers on them and Boxwoods don't seem to have that.

Temperatures have been from between mid to high 80s, to mid to high 90s at times during this summer season.

Winds can be in either direction, from what I gather.

So far, not enough sun and sun scorch has been suggested. I'm gathering the problem isn't that easy to diagnose. I'd really hate to lose these plants.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
To find out if it is wind scorch, you could plant two little flag like posts (The level where the dry leaves are) on the sides and see how the winds blow. Also, put 2 to 3 little cups of water to find out how fast each of them evaporates. Or dig two holes and pour water into it and time the speed it takes for the water to disappear. Or take a magnifying glass to look for bugs. Or mulch the dry area to increase the moisture retention. Just some wild suggestions. LOL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They do look like Boxwoods except that mine have little purple flowers on them and Boxwoods don't seem to have that.

Temperatures have been from between mid to high 80s, to mid to high 90s at times during this summer season.

Winds can be in either direction, from what I gather.

So far, not enough sun and sun scorch has been suggested. I'm gathering the problem isn't that easy to diagnose. I'd really hate to lose these plants.

I didn't even notice the purple flowers the first time I looked. If they have those flowers, than they are not Boxwood.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The drip head is on the side that's drying out so if anything, that side gets more water than the side that's doing fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Being mistaken for Alp is the nicest compliment I've had in a while--thank you MoonShadows!

MotoEric, The drip head may be your problem--overwatering kills more plants than drying out, and browning is not necessarily an indication of lack of water. Here is a link to a blog that explains the results of overwatering:
https://www.jainsusa.com/blog/6-signs-you-are-overwatering-your-plants
Just ignore the advertising and scroll down to the six signs of water damage.

For help in identifying your shrub, take a cutting of a stem with leaves and the purple flower, seal it in a plastic bag (this is important since taking in a bare cutting could introduce a disease to the nursery)and take it to a reputable privately-owned nursery (big box stores hire clerks, private nurseries hire people with knowledge of plants). When we know what it is, we may be of more help.

Ask a Question