Can someone please tell me what this is

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think I saw this but don't remember what it is.

Attachments

• 20160721_122736.jpg
    20160721_122736.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 347
  • 20160721_122648.jpg
    20160721_122648.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 300
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is the beginning of a colony of caterpillars called web worms

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
It sort of looks like tent worms or web worms. I've seen similar webs in fruit trees and such, but they usually have many worms in them, not just a few here and there. Is that a fruit tree, by any chance? Apple trees often get these and they will systematically destroy the leaves and fruit, often before you're even aware that they exist. I see one caterpillar in your picture... can't tell if it is caught in the web like the other, smaller bugs, or if it lives there. There are three types of worms that live in trees, I've already mentioned two of them. The third is the bag worm, and they simply drag their nest with them wherever they go. If your web is the expansive home of a spider, on the other hand, I would just leave it be, as that little fellow will predate on harmful bugs that could wreak havoc on your tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a Cheery tree. How can get rid of them?
If you can spray high enough spray with either Bt or spinosad. Another excellent way to get rid of them is to get some Trichodermma wasps. Most real nurserys can get them. Or if you have yellow jackest or red wasps around you can tear open the web and these wasps will carry off and eat the worms

ziskasun

A seed once sown never dies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Those look like what we used to call tent caterpillars on the east coast. It may be the same as web worms. I know the oil mixture worked great to get rid of the spider mites (they also make a web on the plant)
1-gallon water, 1 cup canola oil, 2 tablespoons soap, Shake well and spray on at night. Good luck. I hope you can save your tree.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
My mom often gets these on her apple trees and she uses the very simple and inexpensive approach. She tries to do this at a time when all of the caterpillars are still within the webbing, which means before they consume all of the leaves within the web. She prepares a bucket of hot water and dish washing detergent, grabs a long, stout stick and proceeds to mangle that web with it. She often gets the whole web off the tree in one go, and then dunks the mess into the bucket of water. The caterpillars drown rapidly and if you get them all, they won't come back that season. This helps keep pesticides off your cherries too, which is always nice for you when it's time to pick and eat them. :)

Ask a Question