Does anyone what is doing this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my lawn seems to have been raked overnight by some kind of creature, there are various patches which are quite large.
Does anyone have an idea what creature is doing this? We do border a field, there are deer around but I don't know how they would have got into the garden, so think it's something else.

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_5569.jpeg
    IMG_5569.jpeg
    529.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5568.jpeg
    IMG_5568.jpeg
    440.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5567.jpeg
    IMG_5567.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mikey, do I see a bit of broken fence beyond the hedge? The damage appears to go in a line as if something has been dragged across it. We also have fields directly behind our garden, and are aware of people walking there from time to time. Have you checked to see if anything is missing - from a shed maybe? Across a field can be a more unprotected entrance for light fingered visitors.
My other thought would be badgers.
Are there any waterways across those fields?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Tetters. I think you maybe right about badgers. The hedge is pretty secure with a large ditch in between so would be difficult for a human, nothing missing. May stay up tonight to have a look! Many thanks.

Update. Just found some magpies pulling at the lawn so I can sleep easy tonight!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any otters nearby? I would invest in a night time camera if I were you. We pick up all kinds of activity on ours. Birds will collect leather jackets, but I haven't seen that sort of aftermath here.
If ever you want to encourage badgers, they absolutely love carrots.

Update - look what I found...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any otters nearby? I would invest in a night time camera if I were you. We pick up all kinds of activity on ours. Birds will collect leather jackets, but I haven't seen that sort of aftermath here.
If ever you want to encourage badgers, they absolutely love carrots.

Update - look what I found...
Hi, thanks for the info, very useful. I will probably look to scarify the lawn and see what happens. I think it's the magpies pecking at the lawn for the bugs, hopefully things will improve with the spring weather, whenever that comes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It seems you've found your culprits Mikey. :)

We do border a field, there are deer around but I don't know how they would have got into the garden,

The only thing that will keep deer out of a garden is a 2 1/2 metre or 8 foot fence. I have problems with deer and they are unlikely to damage your lawn but devour any plants they find tasty.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, don't kid yourself that hedge is deer proof, they can really jump high, and if they feel like it their hide is tough enough they could push straight through it. Wearing fairly thin buckskin gloves I can wrap a bramble round both hands and yank it out of the soil.
I have a badger visits, he mucks up the lawn a bit like that, but also takes out considerable scoops every so often, a couple or three inches across and three or four inches deep. You can see his claw mark in them. Magpies seems likely, jackdaws as well, comfort yourself that the leatherjackets they take would do more damage to the grass than they do.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, my lawn seems to have been raked overnight by some kind of creature, there are various patches which are quite large.
Does anyone have an idea what creature is doing this? We do border a field, there are deer around but I don't know how they would have got into the garden, so think it's something else.

Thanks.
Deer can jump really high , especially if they find something they love to munch on.
Deer was in my garden Wednesday morning. When I came out he barely had to “jump” to walk back over the 4’ fence.
Its also amazing how much of a area skunks and racoons can dig through

Reaction score
Country
United States

Thanks.
If you don't get off those hedges with your pruners you are going to kill them. You are over-pruning them, give them a break and let them grow for a while. If you keep topping them like this they should be dying in a year or two. Not all will die only one here and there and make them look really bad. I can see a lot of pruning stress in them, friend.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you live in the southwest, Texas, Oklahoma or Louisiana, I'd consider Armadillos. "Dillers 'll do that. :ROFLMAO: ! Know why the chicken crossed the road? To show the Armadillo it CAN be done.!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Do you find any tracks, hoof prints, etc.? Even birds leave footprints. Deer and hog tracks look like large quotation marks. Turkeys leave poop and tracks. Sorry, you dont have turkeys in GB, do you.

Ask a Question