Does anyone else pull herb plants up by the roots and hand them upside down?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I notice fragrance & flavor are several times better after hanging for several weeks. I was always told gravity makes all liquid in the plant stems drain into the plant leaves then dry out leaving leaves with all the flavor & fragrance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, the vital components of herbs do move up and down the plant. This is why often it is recommended to harvest roots (marshmallow, Elecampane, and such) once the aboveground parts have withered, as their essential substances have by then been pulled back into the roots, in preparation for regrowth in the Spring.

For perennial herbs from which the leaves and/or flowers are harvested, this is impossible, of course, without killing the plant.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tobacco plants hang up side down to dry for several weeks all the juice & tar runs into the leaves.

I need to try this with other herbs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that hanging brassicas with the roots on makes them last a whole lot longer. As for herbs I try to pick and dry just before they flower and have not tried hanging to dry whole plants.

Ask a Question