Does anyone know what this houseplant is?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that it is a Pilea but what type? It has leaves that are reddish underneath as can be seen in the photo.
2D0CC75A-3AFC-47C4-9F65-38FCA797CCBD_4_5005_c.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Please post more photos, including a close-up shot of a branch, and another with both the top and underside of the leaves.

It is not a Pilea. From the initial shot, it look like a Tradescantia, possibly Tradescantia chrysophylla, but I want to see the plant better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes a Tradescantia, in the Dayflower Family (Commelinaceae). There are many species and many more selected cultivars.

Tradescantia chrysophylla looks similar, but usually has a greyish pubescence on the leaves, though that trait may be phenotypically variable. Some forms of Tradescantia cerinthoides (formerly T. blossfeldiana) also look quite similar. I'm leaning towards this one.
Both species mentioned are from southeastern Brazil and are likely closely related.

If grown in good light it should eventually flower, which will both add beauty and assist in more precise identification.
If it does flower, please do post another photo.

Ask a Question