Does anyone have a palm tree??

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi all I have a maj Palm tree!! What is the best way to make it grow healthy? What soil, pot, watering is good for it??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    173.9 KB · Views: 261
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 271
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 280
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My mom has mine. It got too big for my space! It is about 6 feet tall now. I got it about 30 years ago when it was maybe 10" tall! I just repot it now and then to a larger pot with fresh soil. That is really all I have done. I don't even think I ever fertilized it!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
How much water or how many times do u water it? Any kinds of soil?? How big does the pot need to be?

Reaction score
I have several in the garden, but I didn't even plant them :p There are many palm trees around the neighborhood, so I guess that is how those palm trees appeared randomly in the yard. From what I see palm trees don't need much water and are not so difficult when it comes to soil. Over here they grow like weeds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
We have 3 palm trees in all, in different parts of the garden. These palm trees have been there for many years. We do not usually water these trees, we just let the rain water take care of that. When some of the palm branches start to wither, we cut them off so that they would not spoil the beauty of the tree. We have not had any real problems with these palm trees, and they seem to survive quite well even in the dry season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
In the summer, in this clay soil, a palm tree can easily grow over 7 feet. I'm sure the variety matters. I had one once that grew a lot and multiplied, too. It was actually kind of creepy the next year when little palms were breaking through the soil.

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Soil, watering and potting. Okay, First which pot to use.

Younger palms should have smaller containers for warmth and proper drainage. When the soil is exhausted or the roots start to push out you can replace it into a larger pot. It really depends how large you want it to grow. Therefore, replacing the pots regularly help it grows bigger. If your pot is too small, the roots will break and it will die. Make sure there isn't excess water being prevented from draining away.

Soil for the palm is crucial. Get a good quality soil. Use a soil mix that is free draining but still keeps moisture to have a soil always be dam and fertile for the growth of the roots. If the soil mix frees too much liquid, you might have to water it more frequently and that might risk drowning it or rotting the roots. Also, the pot should not be overfilled with soil. Leave an inch between soil and the top.

Watering. Some species require roots as well as leaves to be watered. Find out about the species of palm you have before hand. There are some the respond to watering patterns according to the weather and then there is some that do not need to be watered often. Of course you will need to water your palm on hot dry days, if it is cold with no moisture, you will still need to water. I noticed you have them inside, if they still are you can easily move them outside and give them a good hosing. They will benefit from that to remove all the dust. Using a hose versus a sprinkler is at your discretion. Sprinklers are not as concentrated as the hose so be careful of overwatering.

Have fun caring for your palms!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'm so sad not sure why it's turning yellow ((

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 319
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 279
Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Okay, so it can be one of many things. Either you have a mineral deficiency, water stress, OR insect damage. Its so hard to tell with palm leaves.

Generally, if you have yellowing, it's usually water stress. Check your palm's roots to see if it has started to rot. Chances are its over watering. Palms should be watered once a week I think. You should also get a magnifying glass and check for insect damage, just in case it is something else. Since you only have one smaller leaf yellowing, I'm not entirely sure it is a mineral deficiency though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
There are lots of palm trees here since the Philippines is a tropical country. From what I know, just ample irrigation is enough for a palm tree unlike other trees that need regular fertilizer application. A roots of mthe palm tree has a wide scope so that even with no water, the palm tree thrives. However, for small palm trees, water is still important for it can go dry and die.

Ask a Question