Do You Trade Produce With Neighbors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5a
Country
United States
Do you ever get too much of one type of produce and trade with neighbors? It seems as though most of my neighbors around me get way too many tomatoes every year. We are only able to trade different types of tomatoes with each other, and that is okay. It's nice being able to get a taste of something different.I think this year I will plant more beans and peans and less tomatoes so I can trade those with my neighbors this time for something different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't. To be honest, I don't know most of my neighbors, we never talk. I'm not a very social person;)
And I never get too much of one type of produce. I'm a small girl, but I have a great appetite:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Nobody in my neighborhood has a garden. They grow grass. The hardest thing to find in Canada is an urban gardener.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our excess goes to the local food pantry. We are in a farming area, and some of our neighbors also have vegetable gardens. I'll share excess starts of tomatoes, eggplants, etc. at the beginning of the gardening season, but the harvest goes to folks who physically can't garden, or just don't have any space.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
As yet I haven't had so much of a bounty that I've been able to share it - but one of our neighbors gave us a bunch of cucumbers last year, and encouraged us to grow our own this summer since they apparently do so well in the conditions here! So that's a big part of our inspiration for wanting to grow cucumbers as a part of our veggie selection this summer!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Our excess goes to the local food pantry. We are in a farming area, and some of our neighbors also have vegetable gardens. I'll share excess starts of tomatoes, eggplants, etc. at the beginning of the gardening season, but the harvest goes to folks who physically can't garden, or just don't have any space.

That's so awesome that you have a local food pantry - I wish there was an initiative like that where I lived! Always nice to be able to share things you don't use with someone who could really benefit from it!

Reaction score
In my home country we never trade our produce with neighbors. But instead they are free to pick what they like in our backyard. We always had this give and take in our neighborhood that is why we had a happy community.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Amy, your happy community sounds ideal!
I don't like anyone else in my gardens--they may pick something that isn't ripe, step on a vine, or unintentionally do some damage. I enjoy harvesting, and dong a bit of weeding or pruning while I'm picking. I guess I'm just a selfish gardener who wants all the fun for herself!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't like anyone else in my gardens--they may pick something that isn't ripe, step on a vine, or unintentionally do some damage. I enjoy harvesting, and dong a bit of weeding or pruning while I'm picking. I guess I'm just a selfish gardener who wants all the fun for herself!
Haha, same here:)
I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable if people felt free to come to my garden. I'm a very private person. Also, my plants are mine and I don't want to share them with anyone, lol:p;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No one in my neighborhood has a vegetable garden, and I don't have enough to feed myself since I only grow a one pepper plant, one cucumber plant, and one green bean plant. We had a tiny area in the backyard which is not big enough for anything else besides those, and a few flowers.

Reaction score

Yes indeed we had a happy community and it's good that you are enjoy harvesting your produce and I think you had that green thumb and you are a good gardener :)

Reaction score
Haha, same here:)
I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable if people felt free to come to my garden. I'm a very private person. Also, my plants are mine and I don't want to share them with anyone, lol:p;)

Well, I guess it is just okay if you want that privacy in your garden and there is nothing wrong about it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
In my home country we never trade our produce with neighbors. But instead they are free to pick what they like in our backyard. We always had this give and take in our neighborhood that is why we had a happy community.

Sounds like a nice community - that concept of sharing what you have with one another must make for some great friendships indeed!

Ask a Question