Do You Trade Produce With Neighbors?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
Don't really know of any other gardener growers in my neighborhood. I do share my flowers, herbs, tomatoes and sometime a little fruit with some. It's not like it's a lot, but they appreciate it and I enjoy sharing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
I have few closest neighbours who regularly give me their extra tomatoes and cucumbers. They have much more that I do. Mine is a little experiment to their huge plantations of vegetable. We are talking about hundreds of kilos. They sell most of it and people usually give a kilo or two for my nephew who is still very young and you how people react when they see a three-year-old cute child.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I only have one neighbor that grows food. We haven't traded anything food wise yet. We trade gardening advice with each other. Since we're the only ones that garden on our street, we both have been known to give fruits and veggies to other neighbors on the street.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
Sometimes I trade produce with my neighbors, however, most of the time I offer free or barter my produce with the produce he has grown. This kind of give and take is very common in my place.Most of the people in my locality are small farmers who farm vegetables, fruits and other farm produce.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any extra produce goes to the local food pantry. It is always nice to give fresh food to people that usually just give out canned goods.

Reaction score
Sounds like a nice community - that concept of sharing what you have with one another must make for some great friendships indeed!

Yes you are right @amelia88 We had this concept of sharing in our neighborhood and it is not only the garden produce and usually we also had sharing of foods like for example we are cooking special foods we always give them that is why we had established good friendships for the longest time with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Our backyard is a sort or food garden, from simple vegetables to pepper, ginger and other kitchen plants. Some neighbors would come to us from time to time to ask for banana leaf which they use as wrapper for cooking native delicacies. Sometimes it is pepper they need or pandan leaves for an aromatic dish, lime, and some other harvest. Early this month, we harvested bananas which we shared to the neighbors. Unfortunately, we never get anything back.

Reaction score
I'd love to do that with my new neighbors in my new neighborhood, but they don't grow other thing that is not pot, lol. Yeah, I have that kind of neighbors, they are renting and living off the gov's benefits... In the Netherlands is not rare at all to grow pot. It's all goo as long as it is for personal use only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Sad you don't . but it is an expectation I try not to think about. what I would do versus what someone else actually does. The neighbors who do give me veggies , I return the favor and bake them something.
I'm sorry to say something bad about our neighbors but I just want to be honest. Aside from receiving part of our harvest, sometimes they have the initiative to pick from our extended garden (the vacant lot beside our property). What can we do but just let them. Now we are not planting much on that extended garden to avoid any altercation with those arrogant neighbors who act as if they themselves planted the vegetables.

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is something my family has always done. We live in the country and neighbors are pretty far away from each other here in Indiana. We usually plant 16 rows of sweet corn, so we always welcome neighbors to come pick what they need for their families. We also have a guy down the road from us that always brings us the biggest red tomatoes I have ever seen! Around here, we always like to take care of our neighbors!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Yes! My neighbors and I actually plan around what each other are planting. For example, my neighbor plants cucumbers and tomatoes. I plant zucchini and squash. We trade all of our surplus produce. It ends up working quite well. We end up with a large variety without as much work!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We don't necessarily "trade" but it balances out. We have apple trees and they really produce every fall. We tell people they can come and pick whatever they want. Sometimes we are given plants if someone has started too many, or we just get the extra veggies they have grown. We always try to help others, and I think it's how they try to repay the kindness. I don't really keep track, and I give to others whatever I know I don't need. Works out well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Barbados
In my country people like to give away produce if they have an excess of it, but trading produce is a different kind of thing. We do not usually trade produce with our neighbours, but if we have a bountiful supply of anything, we will give them some of what we have, not looking for anything in return. For instance, since our mango tree tends to give a bountiful harvest, we share these with neighbours as well as friends who do not even live in our neighbourhood. Over here, we do not really look for an exchange. If my neighbours or friends have enough of their produce to share with us, then they do so.

Ask a Question