Indeterminate or determinate? Which produces more?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I have limited space for gardening, so my goal would be to grow the most profolic veggies in little room I have.

Currently, I have about 4-5 indeterminate tomato plants. Unfortunately, that's all the room I'll have for tomatoes. I'm curious to know, which variety (determinate or indeterminate) grows the most tomatos? We have a decent sized family and tomatoes are a must have. I don't have experience with determinate varieties.

Which variety has a larger production?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have limited space for gardening, so my goal would be to grow the most profolic veggies in little room I have.

Currently, I have about 4-5 indeterminate tomato plants. Unfortunately, that's all the room I'll have for tomatoes. I'm curious to know, which variety (determinate or indeterminate) grows the most tomatos? We have a decent sized family and tomatoes are a must have. I don't have experience with determinate varieties.

Which variety has a larger production?
That is the question all tomato growers (including me) ask. I have been experimenting with different varieties for years. I have about 10 varieties that produce heavily every year, BUT. It seems that those 10 varieties don't produce near as much when planted in a different area, ie, slightly different climate and soil. That means what grows great for me will in all likelihood not produce for you. You will have to obtain local knowledge from local growers and the easiest way to do that is to visit mom and pop nurserys and ask.
Determinates usually produce one main crop within a fairly short period of time with very limited numbers after that. Indeterminates produce less initially but make up for it by producing longer. What this means is that you will be eating a LOT of tomatoes for a couple of weeks if you plant determinates and you will be eating tomatoes for a much longer time span if you plant indeterminates.
You can grow just as many indertiminates as determinates if you grow them upwards instead of sideways. One of my best producers is called Climbing Triple Crop. Some of their vines have reached about 15 feet.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I get what you mean, but I have been thinking: If determinates produce more in a shorter span, I can use that to my advantage by saving one sucker from the plant and replacing the adult plant when that main crop dies out. That would technically work, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I get what you mean, but I have been thinking: If determinates produce more in a shorter span, I can use that to my advantage by saving one sucker from the plant and replacing the adult plant when that main crop dies out. That would technically work, right?
In theory yes. But don't forget that tomatoes only set fruit reliably between 68F-74F night time low temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Ah, yes. That is true. I remember when the flowers dropped when nighttime temps were too hot. Haven't had that issue for 2-3 months now. Hopefully until probably summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Is usability an issue?
I mean, if you're growing tomatoes to eat fresh, half-a-dozen a day for four months (say 480 tomatoes) may be better than 600 all in the last week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
In Zone 5, June, July and August and maybe a bit of September, I find little or no difference between determinate and indeterminate. But I tend to go for indeterminate. I plant around 30 plants and expect about 500 pounds of fruit, much dependent upon the weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In our climate, which for tomatoes is a short growing season, I find that determinates produce more on average, but all within a couple of weeks. Indeterminates will produce less on average but over a much longer period of time.

Ask a Question