Considering going determinate......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have NEVER grown determinate tomatoes but am seriously considering going that route in 2019. The different indeterminates that I have been growing seem to always turn into tall, unruly jungles of vines that spill over the top of their 5 1/5 foot cages. Opting for more compact determinate plants seem to be a logical solution.....even though there would have to be successive plantings to extend the yield. Input needed........What determinate (semi-determinates seem to be not much better, plant-wise) variety (for slicing) would you recommend?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have NEVER grown determinate tomatoes but am seriously considering going that route in 2019. The different indeterminates that I have been growing seem to always turn into tall, unruly jungles of vines that spill over the top of their 5 1/5 foot cages. Opting for more compact determinate plants seem to be a logical solution.....even though there would have to be successive plantings to extend the yield. Input needed........What determinate (semi-determinates seem to be not much better, plant-wise) variety (for slicing) would you recommend?
Out of all the slicer type tomatoes I have grown there is one variety that ALWAYS produces and that variety is called Celebrity. It is a semi-determinate that on a good day might reach 4 feet tall. Fruits are about 8 oz with fairly thin skins. Its resistant to most diseases and has a great taste. It is also an AAS tomato. If I were to be forced to grow only one variety it would be Celebrity. There are literally dozens of determinates and only by local knowledge or experimenting can you find the best for your locale. Celebrity does well just about everywhere.

You mentioned successive plantings. Remember that all tomato plants only set fruit when nighttime temperatures are below 76F +/- except the cherry types. The closer to 76F it gets the less fruit is set and if nighttime temps are close to 80F none will set

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Out of all the slicer type tomatoes I have grown there is one variety that ALWAYS produces and that variety is called Celebrity. It is a semi-determinate that on a good day might reach 4 feet tall. Fruits are about 8 oz with fairly thin skins. Its resistant to most diseases and has a great taste. It is also an AAS tomato. If I were to be forced to grow only one variety it would be Celebrity. There are literally dozens of determinates and only by local knowledge or experimenting can you find the best for your locale. Celebrity does well just about everywhere.

You mentioned successive plantings. Remember that all tomato plants only set fruit when nighttime temperatures are below 76F +/- except the cherry types. The closer to 76F it gets the less fruit is set and if nighttime temps are close to 80F none will set
Thanks Chuck.........".....might reach 4 feet tall" AND "....great taste"......that sounds like a win/win.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Have you considered growing the British way?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

We grow Celebrity and Parks Whopper Improved. The Celebrity grow slowly across the season and gives ripe tomatoes more or less evenly across the season where the PW comes in waves and seemd to get done before the Celebrity last season.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could try tumbling Toms or hanging basket varieties which will send stems down instead of up!

Ask a Question