How do I make a plant produce seeds?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Arab Emirates
I have a couple of jasmine varieties and a catnip plant that flowered so I was wondering how to make them produce seeds.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Don't know about catnip, but jasmine can be propagated very readily by layering and you will get exactly the same plant and it will be much faster. Taking cuttings with catnip is another faster way to get a new plant. Perhaps, you just want the seeds. Then do as the others suggest.. leave the flowers to turn to seeds..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I have a Jasmine nitidum (Star Jasmine) and have had for years and it makes flowers but does not make seeds. It may need cross pollination from a male or female plant. Some plants get so messed up genetically by hybridization that they lose the ability to produce seeds. I don't know what is the situation with the Star Jasmine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There are a few plants that I've never observed seed production from; a couple off the top of my head are my Hibiscus, Mexican Pentunia and Banana plant (but I know why the banana doesn't produce seeds, but the other two I'm not sure).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hibiscus, Mexican Pentunia and Banana plant (but I know why the banana doesn't produce seeds, but the other two I'm not sure).
The Hibiscus has been genetically altered and played with and continues to be out of all recognition. I used to have a single red tropical hibiscus. I thought it was probably the closest to what an original hibiscus was. I gave that plant away thinking i could get another one. A few short years ago, they were everywhere, but when i went to look i could not find one. I took a cutting from a hibiscus growing in the street (only after asking the owners of the plant). This was an old plant and probably 10 ft. (3 m) tall. I grew the cutting and it came to produce a flower bud. I anxiously awaited the beautiful single red bloom. But, something was wrong and the bud was becoming very large. The one bud produced 4 separate flowers all crinkled up, a freak of nature, the result of people who think they can improve on mother nature.

As for the Mexican Petunia (Ruellia) i can't imagine that it does not produce seeds. My plant produces enough seeds in one year to build a house with. Possibly your plant is a hybrid, or possibly you don't see the seeds. Actually this plant in its unaltered form has exploding seeds and they literally do just that. You hear a "pop" and a seed can go flying 8 feet. I think Ruellia is on Florida's invasive species list so if you bought your plant at a garden center it possibly has been altered to not be invasive. Just a couple of possibilities, not sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have a couple of jasmine varieties and a catnip plant that flowered so I was wondering how to make them produce seeds.

It is not possible to make a plant do anything. Have you read up on your species of jasmine? That is the best way to learn about it's reproductive habits. Seed production requires pollination so if you don't have enough beneficial insects in your yard, you may not see seed pods.

Catnip is a tricky one, but again, it requires a pollinator. Some plants, such as passion flower, release pollen at a specific time of day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are a few plants that I've never observed seed production from; a couple off the top of my head are my Hibiscus, Mexican Pentunia and Banana plant (but I know why the banana doesn't produce seeds, but the other two I'm not sure).

That friggin' Mexican petunia is one of the most prolific seed producing, invasive, self-seeding plants that exists. Look around your yard because you will find little volunteer plants as proof that it has gone to seed behind your back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Maybe my Mexican petunias are producing seeds and I just haven't seen them yet, I'll continue looking. It sure does get sufficient pollinators, the bumble bees love the flower.

My Mexican petunias are also very invasive, I just cut down a bunch so it didn't overtake some other plants and it's already coming back thru its extensive rhizome system. Personally I don't mind that, I see it as more mulch for me -- chop and drop:)

EDIT:
P.S. The funny thing about this plant; I've never seen a seedling of this plant, I've only seen sprouts from the rhizome system. I planted my MP's in the NE corner of my yard and there are no seedlings anywhere, including in my neighbors yard, but you do see seedlings in his yard from many other type plants from my yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Do check terms like mechanical / hand pollination, pollination bag.

Best way is by cuttings, or offshoots to get identical plant.(rare case growing tip get mutate, resulting a different plant)

One can never get same plants from seeds.;)

(y)

Ask a Question