Do you think its a good idea to garden on a sunday?

• Thread starter Peace perfect peace
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peace perfect peace

Greetings gods own children,
I just had our new ex-pats call, (These are the latest folk to come to live here in france from the uk)

Anyway it works out they've only been here 5 weeks now and they've fallen out with their neighbours who also are english,

What happend is they've had a grass strimmer going cutting 3 feet high grass and as its sunday these people next door to them have said you shouldn't be having any noise of anything going on a sunday.

And our new friends have asked our advice as what to do???

My only advice was that they should have bought a house without any nearby neighbours if you want peace ref this sort of thing "but" now they've got the house they liked and need to both spend time/money And noise from machine's doing this place up maybe they should tell these next door people they've got the summer months to get on with this work and expect to hear noise,

"Yes"'

keep it down as much as poss but try and have the noise during 9 -5pm.

Anyone had this problem ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I keep quite hours early with this.
hero.png

Later I crank up the chipper or the lawn mower.

P

Peace perfect peace

Ive been thinking about this complaint and remembering what i liked so much when we first arrived deep in the countryside of france,
It was'nt just the old ways "the plastic table coverings still used " like my granny used, No and it was'nt that we dont really have fashion and trends when it comes to clothing,
And it was'nt seeing women driving the tractors down the tracks , No !!!,
It was that quiet when i went to bed and again in the morning, not much sounds like the roar of traffic and the sounds of life as i'd known it for so long,
Even the clean air i was breathing and still breath everyday without even thinking of the smells of industry i was once so used to smelling.

It was only when i returned to the Uk after a short stay here and back to the sounds and smells ive now left behind that i thought how slow and quiet this part of the french "the old french" countryside is.

Maybe the people who live next door to these new people have got very use to the silence?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The only sounds I hear at night are the frogs and maybe the cows and I live in New York. Well not NY city. Anyway I used to have a neighbor that complained because I would work on my car in the driveway on the weekend. He was a guy that was full of himself, the vice president of a large bank and paid for everything to be done around the house. Couldn't understand why anyone would want to get dirt under their nails. His mistake was telling me that it bothered him. The best tool I had to remind him that some people actually worked was my impact gun. I used to fire up the air compressor and turn the gun on and off just to get his goat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Its racing season, and until the money runs out random groups of friends will go together and buy a car, sans muffler of course, and work on both car and beers until late evening sometimes. One can hear them from the next neighborhood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The area I live in most houses have at least 2 acres of property, we have 3, guess its due to some lay out where the creek is ect. Anyway, so yes we can hear sounds from each other. The only respect of noise we have, which is sort of unwritten is to not start any noise until after 10AM and noise normally stops about 7PM in general. There are some days there is no noise at all. We seem to not make noise on our major holidays, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Christmas, Thanksgiving. But as far as Sunday, noise happens then also. As many of us work outside the home in my area, we have only the weekend to work the garden. The noise I am speaking of is any garden equipment noise. And as far as music noise, that is a rarity to be heard from another house. Our area does not have an HOA situation.
We also burn on our property, all of us try to only burn when there is no wind, so the smoke goes up and then drifts out. As many of us here have lots of limbs, leaves, etc. we have to burn. However, when I do retire, I would be able to cut my grass on any other days except Sunday just because I would want Sunday to be my quiet day, but it has nothing to do with anything else except my choice.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My opinion, for what it's worth. I'm not a church going person, although I do have my own relationship with God. Sunday, for a lot of people, is a mandated day of rest by God. I don't like the idea that people try to force this mandate on everyone, but they're going to try anyway. Out of respect, I would wait until noon to start in the yard. That's just me. My neighbors all typically do that and we do have very religious people around here. We all also live practically on top of each other. The noon thing seems to work out. But they have a right to work in their garden when they want to and how they want to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There are a couple of ways to look at this. First you have to realize that Sunday was not made for man to worship. It was ordained as a day for man to rest and recuperate. The Bible is full of excellent health advice. Not taking a day off from the stress of chores can have disastrous effects on both physical and mental health.

A second aspect is that people are no longer considerate of others. Sunday is often a day for families to get together. A nice quiet time to spend with children and grandchildren can really be screwed up by a lawnmower but today people usually don’t care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
And this is a vegetative venue, so if you will forgive any Karl Marx irony in my description, I need to redirect this thread back to plants in a general sense because so few can handle my perspective without entering severe depression due to their own oversights. Its always a perceived fact, then belief then attitude. Here, I would hope you allow your neighbors a visit, to know them, to help them, to assist them, without a single thought that the effort is a dumb idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question