Do you think its a good idea to garden on a sunday?

• Thread starter Peace perfect peace
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So is mowing any more work than doing the dishes it folding the laundry? Doing dishes? Making the bed? What if I find yard work to be relaxing and enjoyable? What about buying lunch somewhere, that forces others to work?

I'm a religious man and was raised in the church. But there argument that mowing on Sunday is somehow against the will of God is a premise I just cannot support. Not only is it subjective, it's unrealistic. While I agree and do my best to avoid having to go to work on Sunday, it's not always possible.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my mother was very strict about ---doing no work on Sunday, even to the point of not allowing to use the scissors . however, I recall that went by the wayside later on. I usually make sure I don't go anywhere on Sunday, stay home all day and putts around, make a nice dinner, do some garden stuff, catch up on some reading. Love the quiet time . Getting my mind ready for Monday . Sadly, with the 8 or 9 churches in the area have not found one that draws me there, even though I went to church often in my youth, I just believe my church can be my garden.

P

Peace perfect peace

Esther,
That's one of the most heart felt threads ive read "well done you"
In the uk not that many years ago Sunday was a very dead day ie pubs only open in the morning, no supermarkets open,
It was a very dead day,
And then things changed just about every city centre was just like monday to saturday, "the rat race had arrived big time"

We do seem to have lost so much if only we'd admit it, not a lot of families sit around the table for sunday dinner,

Here in this part of france a lot of the families can be seen sitting outside the house most summer evening's children playing, the grand parents /son's daughters enjoying a glass of wine and a chat, (they alway wave as you walk past) many a time we've been invited to join them (and i do mean many a time)

It's a very old ways of doing things here "as it once was" we never seen litter or fly tipping (rubbish dumped) or garden statues etc taken,
You really can leave your door unlocked/windows open.
Only this morning as we came back from the dogs "Walkies" our neighbour gave us one of her lettuce,
The locals dont really go to church except when one is laid to rest and then everyone attends.

Are we going to fast and loosing out with modern life?:unsure:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
God intended for us to rest on Sunday, just as He did. However the Bible says something about 'your ox-cart being in the ditch'. I'm guessing that means God would not be angry if we had work emergencies on Sunday. Such as the essence of gardening: I'm sure he wouldn't want us to ignore our gardens if they needed watering or produce harvested before it spoils.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If nurses, police and firemen are called in on emergencies on Sunday, of course they should go in! God wouldn't want nurses to ignore sick/hurt people, policemen to ignore crimes, or firemen to ignore fires.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In 1963 at the age of 15 I went straight down a deep coal mine as a apprentice mechanical engineer; one of the first things I was taught was to think for myself; I had Church of England thrust upon me at school being forced to learn about religion; I never did like the subject. If the flock isn't allowed to work on Sunday then aren't the church leaders hypocrites because how many churches close on Sunday?

I have no religion. I don't want to start a religious debate because to me both religion and politics are flogged to death and if someone wishes to pray on Sunday then it's their choice; I won't waste the time and work just as hard on Sunday as I do the rest of the week. Above shows Huddersfield's denomination.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's a shame about how many people don't, or don't want to believe in God. The biggest fear in a humans life should be about which direction, Heaven or Hell, he will go to when he dies.

P

Peace perfect peace

I was raised mainly by my mothers mother, a very strong catholic,
I slept in her bed (grandad worked nightshifts and he slept mostly during the day in the little room as it was known)

Above my Nan's bed on the wall was the picture of christ, every night my nan took me at 8pm to bed, and shed say to me now if you've done wrong you must pray and tell him what you've done and he'll forgive you and tomorrow you can start the day as a new day,

I would be confessing to anything "like walking on cracked pavement (sidewalks for the usa folk) " Anything just to be in gods good books,
Tobe a good person,
At 16yrs I joined the junior Leaders as a cadet and by the age of 17yrs i was in northern ireland as a fully trained soldier in the 2nd parachute regt, and it was then i learned about life and evil people, people who'd kill anyone that didnt agree with what they believed in,

I moved on from the Parachute regt and did 4 more tours of ireland /the falklands/ The gulf war/ Bosnian War And then the British government Loaned us to help the oil rich countries defence systems.
And every one of these conflics/war's had religion involved As did the second world war, was'nt it the vatican that denied the jews we're being murdered by Hitler? And even to this day its never really been laid on the line how much gold etc was delivered to the vatican
(jews gold teeth fillings etc)

If you've ever walked in the shoes of those who've been tortured both by pain inflicted by another human or by mind games,
woman treated like slaves for mans use,
And these people are following a religion and are better humans for it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just treat people and animals the way you'd like tobe treated and you go far wrong.

Only a fool thinks they are rich /wealthy because they have money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
As someone who worked in retail where the only day we were closed was Christmas Day. I've no problem with working on Sundays.
If there's a job to be done. Then do it.

However if there was going to be a lot of noise, I'd have mentioned to the neigbour what I was going to do and give them an idea how long I'd be working. A well maintained garden will prevent the transfer of weeds to the garden next door.

P

Peace perfect peace

I like the weeds for next door bit :D

We decided on two things years ago and i can pass this on because i know both work,

(1) if you like playing the drums/like loud music/barking dogs/ And living your own life ,,,,???
Then do as we did buy or rent a house far away from neighbours And you wont have these problems.

(2) If however you insist on having your grass cut on a sunday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then try the mower that's eco friendly made 90% of wool
(it's called a sheep)

Building work using anything louder that a paint brush or roller is a NO NO for just one day per/week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I like the weeds for next door bit :D

We decided on two things years ago and i can pass this on because i know both work,

(1) if you like playing the drums/like loud music/barking dogs/ And living your own life ,,,,???
Then do as we did buy or rent a house far away from neighbours And you wont have these problems.

(2) If however you insist on having your grass cut on a sunday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Then try the mower that's eco friendly made 90% of wool
(it's called a sheep)

Building work using anything louder that a paint brush or roller is a NO NO for just one day per/week.

Hmm..
It's not advisable on a messageboard to suggest what people should do, just because you've a different opinion. People won't thank you for it.

Not everyone who wants to, can afford to buy a house "far away" from neighbours.

Each to their own, I live on a crescent shaped road of small semis. Many residents garden on Sundays. Always have. It's not a problem.
But people are sensible, you don't hear mowers before 10.00am and grass is too wet at that time of day to cut, nor do they mow late at night. The situation as it stands is not a problem for me, nor would I suspect is it for any of my neighhbours.
I'd object to any neighbour keeping a sheep in their garden, or any farmyard animal in "suburbia." I've lived in a house that backed on to a farm. Sheep can make loud noises, any day or night, even on Sundays.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Well said Sean. A bit of common sense works wonders. Whilst on a big project like installing a porch or building garden huts I tend to make quite a bit of noise with my assorted machines and power tools but I don't make noise with the intention of upsetting my neighbours so as you say I keep the noise to decent hours including Sunday working; if I'm routing or using my big saws I work with the workshop doors closed.

Two of our close friends are Jehovah Witnesses; we are fully aware of their faith as they are of my total lack of interest in religion but it doesn't stop us being friends; we just don't discuss religion and we all rub along well together; one thing is certain no gets out alive so why not make the most of our time whilst here and select our own friends; it's a big world and big enough for all of us to play fair.

Kind regards, Colin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question