Do you keep on mowing your grass, as much as you keep up with your garden?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
When we first moved here we got a riding mower. I'd never used one before, but had to learn. I was terrified! First I thought it would turn over, then I thought I'd break it, and then I imagined all sorts of mayhem I could create. Neighbors used to go by and then phone later to tell me they'd never seen a woman look that scared. Gradually I got more used to it, but never confident of my driving/mowing skills. I mow slowly and carefully, and do a lot of praying!:unsure:

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have a solar powered lawn mower that does grass cutting by itself. I just need to get it outside and the work will be done within minutes. I don't cut it by myself anymore. That gives me time to go weed in the garden. Now it is rain season which forces me to attend to my crops daily.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We tend to go at least once per week in my household. We run a little gardening and lawn service in and around the neighborhood so we pretty much usually have the lawn mower out at any given time. We don't have a particular day but mostly during the week when we are just sitting out or coming back in from a job we would just run the mower over it. Weeding is kind of different and we really schedule some time for that and it is definitely not as often as mowing. I enjoying weeding but I'm a hands on guy so that comes with a lot back aches done too often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
As we're approaching the end of the year our garden is coming into it's winter tidy up. This keeps us busy all through the winter. Cutting back the shrubs and perennials, tidying trees, raking leaves (some trees hang on to their leaves through January), weeding, digging, composting, collecting horse manure and digging it in, cutting back dead branches on trees, winter pruning the fruit trees (plums and cherries have summer pruning), repairing supports, doing winter sowing, making our winter hanging baskets, cleaning pots and containers - and throughout all this we are still mowing - if the grass isn't too soggy or if it's not frosted.

This is also the time we do our planning of our garden for next year and working out our propagation schedule - we propagate well over 1,000 plants for sale for charity each year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Bootsy I don't think you guys get winter blues at all. I don't think you have time for it with all that good stuff going on for your lawn and plants as well. We also have some nice fruit trees around the backyard but we are not as intense as you guys. I love the charity idea. We give away a few young plants (flowers and fruits) to friends and neighbors but it's nothing compared to the good works you do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
@arthnel many thanks for your kind words. (y) As Septuagenarians we find it gets a little more difficult each year but it's very rewarding.

As we tend to be a nation of gardeners on this side of the 'pond' it's quite common to open our gardens for charity. People come round, on set days, to view other peoples' gardens - for a small fee. We take advantage of this and propagate plants and sell them.

Just some of our plants for sale.
P1230396.JPG

P1230398.JPG

We are fortunate to have a lot of helpers for the event so we sell home made cakes and tea/coffee and have lots of entertainment. If the weather is good some people spend half, or even a whole day here, wandering around the garden, chatting with others, buying plants, watching the entertainment and eating loads of cake. We also have some crafts for sale and a book stall.

This year, in the nine hours we were open (day and a half) we had 450 visitors. Some of them coming from all over the country (Zigs travels a few hundred miles each time). We only charge £1 ($1.50) entry fee but raised over $6,000 this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Mowing is some thing I do only if there no clover flowers, most of the time its once a week from spring to fall, but its Dec. and I'm still mowing my lawn, last year every thing was covered in snow, I'm liking the warmer weather, saves on my heating bill but my plants need the winter rest.

Reaction score
We only had a small portion of lawn in our garden in my home country that is why there is no need in mowing the grass. We had a gardener who is helping my mom to take care of our garden and he is just cutting the grass weekly at the same time removing the weeds in the lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey @Bootsy Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. WOW!...It all looks very organized and well supported. I look at the variety of plants and I see the good, hard work put in that would surely make this an event to look forward to each year. Truly inspirational. Keep up the great work you guys are doing. I'll be sure to watch out for more lovely pictures like those and of your gardens. Many thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mowing the grass is probably one of my least favorite activities. I either do it or have it done ever other week. I find that the grass just grows so fast. I prefer to work in the garden around my flowers and vegetables plants. I feel like it benefits me more then mowing the grass.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have a solar powered lawn mower which does the job daily. It is automatic and needs little attention. It saves me a lot of time that I use to weed my crops . I do weed my crops at least daily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
Lawn mowing is really left as my husbands job, while I tend to the garden. It really depends on the time of year as to the maintenance level though. If we are talking about right now in winter, our lawn doesn't grow much if at all, so the need for mowing is virtually nil. However, weeds still pop up in the garden beds all the time so I am constantly tending to those.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I do! I would almost say I am borderline OCD with keeping the yard trimmed and weed eat. I try to mow the grass every three days. I have a lot of ground, and it takes about 2 1/2 hours to mow on the rider. I make sure I do patterns as well weather its striped or diagonal in the yard. I would bet I spend as much money in gas for my mower as I do in my car.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
we have to maintain the grass here because if it gets too long then we will get snakes and I don't like those at all! I love the idea of fake grass but someone told me that they found a snake anyway and that rules that out for me

Ask a Question