Do you keep on mowing your grass, as much as you keep up with your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I have to say Bootsy that is a beautiful looking yard and I love the lawn. I am envious.

@Greenhorn Thanks for your kind words. :) It's just a part of our garden and takes a lot of work. It gets much tougher with the advancing years. We've been living in this place for 43 years and we are foolish enough not to try and make it easy gardening! :D

Here's a link to a U.K. forum where I posted pictures of our garden just before opening it for charity.

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/sneak-preview-of-shineys-open-day.16514/

That was seven years ago and I haven't put another set of photos up. We open each year and raise a lot for charity but find it quite hard nowadays - but it's very rewarding. (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Licenter, congratulations on planning curved edge flower beds. They look much more natural, and are easier to mow around, too. We let our grass get a bit taller than usual, then use a hose to outline a bed, put down flour (yup, the white stuff!) along the hose, pick up the hose and mow the pattern. If it's too hard to mow we change the pattern.
A word about decomposed granite--it tracks into the house. Several people we know have used it for paths and one even for a patio, and they all mention it comes in uninvited.

Thanks for the tips mg. What I did the last time I cut in new beds was attach a rod to my mower deck. I then drove the lawn tractor with the rod scratching the ground in the outline I wanted. (worked well) As for the decomposed granite; Yes I have read that about it getting stuck to your feet. All paths will not lead directly to an area where it can be readily tracked into the house. I also plan on putting down a binder when all is said and done.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
We have some one cut the front because of a steep slope, the back has 5 large trees that keep the grass from growing, we do have moss back there. I prefer to spend my time in the garden pulling weeds and planting new plants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I actually enjoy cutting the grass. It's kind of zen-like for me. It's a mindless task that you can do while thinking about other things. My mind usually wanders as I cut the grass - on the birds I see, or the squirrels playing in the trees. To the garden, what I want to plant where. Or even to things like my family or hobbies, or whatever. I just zone out, while listening to good music.

Then, when it's done - I look out over the yard and see the beautifully cut lawn - and the accomplishment of a job well done is very rewarding for me. Plus for me, the garden incorporates the lawn - the two compliment each other. And both look their best when the other is well kept!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I can tolerate a lawn growing for a while but I can't stand weeds in my flower beds. Honestly letting grass grow a bit doesn't hurt as long as it's not long enough for neighbors to call the city on you haha.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
After hearing too much complaining from the husband last year about having to cut around my "crap", lawn furniture needs to be moved, cut around grill area, fire pit, raised beds, ok so there is alot in the back. I've agreed to take over the cutting this year. Havent had to start yet, but this spring I've been laying down alot of much paths in the areas hardest to get to so there is going to be less to cut in the back. In the front the flower beds are being greatly expanded as well.. again less to move and cut

I'll admit alot of the lawn is just clover and weeds. I refuse to use chemicals on it and I wont waste water on it either. My effort goes into the garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I mean a lawn is a lawn. To me it doesn't serve much purpose or function really save to be green. There's better ground cover out there that require less attention like clover and whatnot. When my mother moved into her new house years ago we pretty much decreased the size of the yards/lawns and expanded flower beds and set up a patio to cut down on having to waste time cutting grass. I mean in the long haul having a huge lawn is a waste of water, gas, money and time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I mean a lawn is a lawn. To me it doesn't serve much purpose or function really save to be green. There's better ground cover out there that require less attention like clover and whatnot. . I mean in the long haul having a huge lawn is a waste of water, gas, money and time.

I think it depends on the situation, size of garden and climate. A nice green lawn can offset the effect of the flower beds. We never water our lawn, it doesn't cost much in gas (even at our prices :D), we don't use any chemicals in the garden and this lawn, in our front garden, only takes about 20 minutes to cut with a gas powered hand mower. It also gives me some of my much needed exercise. ;)

P1170311.JPG

It's only one of eight lawns (of varying sizes) that we have so there's still a lot of mowing to do, but some of the lawns don't need mowing frequently.

The lawn may look in good condition but that's only because it has been cut. It's about 30% grass, 30% weeds and 40% moss!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
See a lawn like that I don't mind since it's not very big. I was talking about like Midwest US lawn which is all grass and no flower beds. A lawn so uselessly vast that people buy riding lawn mowers just to keep them cut. Owning a riding lawn mower and mowing every 3 days is like a religion here and I just see it wasteful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We use our "lawn" to outline and define our flower beds. With about two acres of mowing (which includes the road right-of-way that we maintain) and the orchard area, we need a riding mower. For pity's sakes, we are in our 60's!
We shred (mow) the pasture three times a year using a tow-behind shredder. It helps keep the mesquite trees from taking over, and enriches the pasture with the mowed vegetation.
We just let whatever is green grow, and cut it down when it needs it. Most of our energy, and all of our harvested rainwater, goes into vegetable gardens, and secondarily, flower beds.
Bootsy, is that Lady's Mantle in the forefront of your garden, with the yellow flowers? What a lovely plant--we had some when we lived up north, but here in Texas the heat kills it. You have a perfectly lovely garden!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
@marlingardener Thanks for the compliment.

For pity's sakes, we are in our 60's!

That's the problem with you being youngsters ;) you get to use all these new fangled things! :D

Yes it's lady's mantle (alchemilla molis) and apart from being an attractive plant with green flowers, it is perfect for my wife's flower arranging hobby.
P1170189.JPG

It's not necessary to have a riot of colour to have a good looking flower bed (although we do have great colours elsewhere in the garden) and it's a matter of using size and height to create interest for the viewer.

P1170298.JPG

Other colours appear in the same beds at different times of the year.

P1130378.JPG

P1070858.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I have a lawn on the terrace a small strip I could say. I have planted Bermuda Grass which does not need mowing. I do not replant either. I just rake it once a year and sprinkle some fresh soil over it.

terrace1.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We use our "lawn" to outline and define our flower beds. With about two acres of mowing (which includes the road right-of-way that we maintain) and the orchard area, we need a riding mower. For pity's sakes, we are in our 60's!

I'm in my sixties also, and love my rider, and that's one of the reasons I have one, but not the only one either. I hook the dump trailer to it, and it becomes my all around heavy hauler. Every other year I get 6-8 yards of mulch delivered, and a wheelbarrow just ain't happening with these old abused bones. Another reason I prefer a rider is the amount of time I save mowing, and I absolutely hate the wheel marks a push mower leaves. It's a much more natural look when cut with a lawn tractor. Plus it's fun to drive, and no one is trying to cut me off at every turn.:)

Ask a Question