DIY Studio Shed Project Foundation (Built ON Wood Decking??) Help / Guidance

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone, new to the forums, but excited to be here! Appreciate any insight/guidance you can offer!

In short, I am wondering if it is ok to build a studio shed (9X10 feet) on top of a pressure-treated and painted deck for foundation, to last 5-8 years. Or if I should be reinforcing things/making modifications before adding more weight with the roof tiles etc./siding/windows/door? Attached are some photos of the project in its current state to showcase...
Studio Shed 1.jpg
studio shed 2.jpg

In case photos dont attach: https://ibb.co/bm8nLj3
https://ibb.co/c3yqfyc

Due to Covid, building this for a little home gym to be used through the year (I live in CT/USA where is does snow in the winter).

Unfortunately, as you can see, being a DIY project (still new to this!) I jumped the gun and started the project to only now realize I maybe should have cut through to put cement foundation on corners or should have put down stone/cement under the deck - or maybe I am just being paranoid and can proceed as is???

What do you all think?

If I should be reinforce/tweaking the foundation before proceeding, any recommendations on how to do so easily given my current status? And the fact that the area this is located is next to my pool, so I cant move it anywhere - but am open to suggestions on how to possibly jack up?

Thanks so much everyone, stressing out over here but desperate to proceed and get this done - as I have been mulling over what to do for months now :(

~SB

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So the answers from abroad will be incorrect in the area of local conditions. For example, are you in a earthquake area and do local codes require shock wave bracing? What wind loads does your area need to build its bracing for? These type things will be easy to find, the county building inspectors can tell you which code books they are using in your area. As always, the point of a code is that there was a problem and the code is the minimum effort required to prevent the re-occurance so consider a better standard if able.

Ask a Question