DIY Garden Mulch

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Would it be worthwhile to get a wood chipper, and use it to make mulch out of fallen tree branches and unwanted wild bushes/saplings? I am a little bit worried about possible contamination from fungi though. What would be the best way to sanitize the finished product? Cornmeal perhaps?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Would it be worthwhile to get a wood chipper, and use it to make mulch out of fallen tree branches and unwanted wild bushes/saplings? I am a little bit worried about possible contamination from fungi though. What would be the best way to sanitize the finished product? Cornmeal perhaps?
It will be alright and don't worry about fungi because it's very important for the garden.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think that using these chippings can mean death to many susceptible shrubs and trees if there is any possibility that a honey fungus might be present. With imported chippings this could be more of a threat, but if you know for sure what you have there the threat lessens.
Although there are a few varieties of honey fungus, you would probably know about them in your own patch.

Otherwise as @Logan has said fungus is not a problem, so let nature take it`s course.

If unsure about the product I suppose using the chippings for pathways and the like could be placed over a membrane to act as a barrier :unsure:

PS I found this link .....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Fire. I have an 8hp self propelled chipper-vac and its hard and dusty work. The char has more interesting uses, and the ash has potassium. You may need to add sulphur if you have alkaline soil, or aluminum sulphate for the chemical version of diy fertilizer. I will add Calcium nitrate and magnesium sulphate or a micro nutrient mix. Or soak the char in fish fertilizer.

Ask a Question