DIY Aeration Suggestions

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Even though spring just started, I feel like it's never too early to get your mind right for your fall lawn. My yard is only 30'x30' which I feel is too small to go rent a large aeration roller (and logistically would be a nightmare to get in and out of my backyard), but I get really lazy and it is exhausting to use a hand tiller to try and aerate the lawn in the fall. Any suggestions on how I could split the difference?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Even though spring just started, I feel like it's never too early to get your mind right for your fall lawn. My yard is only 30'x30' which I feel is too small to go rent a large aeration roller (and logistically would be a nightmare to get in and out of my backyard), but I get really lazy and it is exhausting to use a hand tiller to try and aerate the lawn in the fall. Any suggestions on how I could split the difference?
Why not do it the easy way? Spread about 1/4-1/2 inch of good compost on the grass and then use your hose end sprayer to spray 2 oz of molasses per gallon of water and then water it in good.

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Compost is an easy add. How do you spread molasses? I feel like that's far too viscous to work (but since Chuck said it, I treat it as a Biblical prophecy).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Compost is an easy add. How do you spread molasses? I feel like that's far too viscous to work (but since Chuck said it, I treat it as a Biblical prophecy).
All you gotta do is get the aforementioned hose end sprayer, fill it up with molasses, set the amount on the dial and start spraying. Molasses isn't that thick to begin with but mix 2 oz of it per gallon of the water that is going through the sprayer and it is just like water. And if you like it is also a good time to spread out your organic fertilizer too. Fertilizer really likes molasses. If you aren't careful you will have the best looking lawn on the block.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have sand you don't have to aerate, but if you have clay soil then aeration can be helpful if the soil is compacted.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
And wise you are for that foresight. I have two types of aerators, one is really for seeding and has what looks like ninja throwing stars for implements. Its called a spike aerator. The other is a plugger. I like having them available when I am ready. The spike comes in a manual for at most 50 bucks. I have some handheld T handled spikes, but its a workout and mainly best for reseeding spots. Their are even slip on shoes with spikes.

Ask a Question