DIY Seed Plugs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi there, new to the forum! I'm starting a pretty big market garden this season and am kind of baffled by the cost of plug trays. Could I possibly use foam board (polystyrene insulation) with holes drilled in it as a sort of DIY plug tray? A farm I worked at several years ago used to use foam plug trays that they got from an old hydroponic greenhouse. I dont see any DIY write ups about making your own plugs but I was curious to hear others opinions. Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just go to my local nursery and they will give me all of the damaged or used 6 packs and 4 packs I want. I just went and they gave me 100+ 4" containers if I dug them out of their dumpster. Why buy anything. I don't think the foam is harmful unless it is heated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
I just go to my local nursery and they will give me all of the damaged or used 6 packs and 4 packs I want. I just went and they gave me 100+ 4" containers if I dug them out of their dumpster. Why buy anything. I don't think the foam is harmful unless it is heated
That's a wonderful idea! I'll have to make a trip to my local nursery and ask. I would just be concerned about spreading disease. Do you spray/dip the secondhand trays at all? In the plant pathology lab where I work, whenever a plant dies we clean and reuse the pots, but we spray them with 10% bleach before we put new soil in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That's a wonderful idea! I'll have to make a trip to my local nursery and ask. I would just be concerned about spreading disease. Do you spray/dip the secondhand trays at all? In the plant pathology lab where I work, whenever a plant dies we clean and reuse the pots, but we spray them with 10% bleach before we put new soil in.
All I do is fill a wheelbarrow about 1/4 full and add a cup of bleach, clean the containers and rinse them off.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm doing lots of lettuce and spinach transplants so I need plugs that are between 128-200 plugs per 10x20 tray. I'm not sure your average greenhouse has those to give away.

Ask a Question