My DIY Compost Tumbler

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, I just want to share my Compost Tumbler I made out of 55 gallon barrel and some plumbing fittings. I would like to use it but do not have a lot of experience with compost. I'm taking it to a heated room in the basement (72 F) so I can make some usable compost. I'll appreciate your suggestions. Thanks

MY DIY COMPOST TUMBLER

REINFORCED STAND AND CENTRAL AXLE

;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic and fancy compost bin you made there! I love the hand cranking idea.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
This is a great idea, well done! I think you can just make compost the same way you would on a pile or in a bucket. The best thing is to use only raw material, so vegetable and fruit skins and leftovers, but no cooked veggies. Together with your grass clippings this can be the nitrogen part of your compost. The carbon can be from fallen leaves from your garden and even wood ashes. Some old newspapers or cardboard are also fine, but none of that shiny, coloured cardboard. Don't put any leftover meats or fish!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And if you want to speed up the process add sugars such as molasses or even soft drinks like stale Dr Pepper or beer. This speeds up the growth of the bacteria and fungi of which causes the organic materials to decompose

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool. I have some outdated cans of guinness. I'll save them for the compost pail come spring.
I have never heard of outdated beer. I suppose there could be such a thing though. The beer around here has an extremely short shelf life, as it doesn't stay on a shelf very long.:D

Reaction score
Awesome! I wish I had enough space to try this kind of things :( Great job, you are a natural at DIY projects :) Some people have a natural talent, you are one of them ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it's so great!!!:) I wish I knew how to build things like this. It's a good way to save some money.
We have a store bought compost bin. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
:)Thanks everyone, being busy lately with snow up here in NYC but hopefully is going to melt soon. Well yes I'm a DIY guy that learn very fast and maybe I got some of my father's craftsmanship genes, he's a cabinet/furniture maker (woodworker). I enjoy building things and always looking to save some money. I appreciate your comments.

Ask a Question