So, I found a DIY Green House and thought I'd share...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I always want to garden year round, but winter I usually give up mainly because the weather is so temperamental where I live. But I have heard about greenhouses, but could not afford a nice one like I have seen in so many people's yards. So I found this little DIY one and thought hey! I haven't tried it, but the comments seemed pretty promising and helpful. http://swingncocoa.blogspot.com/2013/04/covered-green-house.html

Reaction score
i just checked this out and wow! It looks so easy and cheap. According to one commented it cost her $105 without the soil and plants. I will definitely try this, because getting one that is ready ot use is so much more expensive and I just don't want to wait too long to be able to garden ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Trellum I felt the same way! Plus, if you have a smaller garden it will work well, or you can make it as big as you need it. I thought it was so cool. I first saw it on a Facebook post and once I got serious about wanting to grow plants I knew I'd need something for your temperamental winters. I will have to wait till I get a yard sadly as my balcony is already kind of full.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I like it! I could see it falling on my head when open, that's just the way it works with me ;).

I would just ensure the covering material is up to the task and greenhouse appropriate. I like the through the frame irrigation stub, I have the same thing on a raised bed and couple of barrels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you for posting this, such a great idea! My SO and I have been talking about putting a greenhouse in our backyard, and this seems so simple and easy to do! I will definitely be showing this to him once I get home!

Reaction score
@Trellum I felt the same way! Plus, if you have a smaller garden it will work well, or you can make it as big as you need it. I thought it was so cool. I first saw it on a Facebook post and once I got serious about wanting to grow plants I knew I'd need something for your temperamental winters. I will have to wait till I get a yard sadly as my balcony is already kind of full.

I will surely give this a try this year, let's just hope I am as lucky as that person from the comments section who didn't have to spend so much cash on the materials (our budget is so tight right now). I will surely post a picture here ;) I am not handy with anything, but if I manage to get this done right I'll consider tat such a big win =D

Reaction score
Country
United States
This greenhouse is such a good idea! I love DIY projects and gardening so this is such a win win for me! A greenhouse has been on my list for a DIY project for awhile only because I have not found a good option for us. This is definitely worth the investigation. Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is really great! Want to know another way to save some money? Use hula hoops for the arches instead of PVC pipe. You can get them at your local dollar store. Also, you can use clamps to hold your greenhouse plastic in place rather than creating a full on lift top. You can easily get the wood from pallets as well. I am all about saving money when possible.

I live in Florida, so I understand that the weather can be iffy and difficult to grow things. I lucked out and have a Florida room where everything is growing just fine. Good luck and let us know if you actually end up making something like this!

Ask a Question