Difficulty getting certain cantaloupe seeds to germinate

Reaction score
Country
United States
This year I have attempted to start several veggie plants from seeds, including two varieties of tomatoes (Roma and a Pink Heirloom), one variety of watermelon (Sugar Baby) and two varieties of cantaloupe (Delicious and Israeli Old Original). All were ordered from an online seed company, except the Delicious cantaloupe seeds, which were saved from last year's crop. All have germinated nicely except the Israeli Old Original cantaloupe. In past years, I have had the same difficulty getting the seeds of this variety to germinate. Can anyone provide any advice that may help me with this issue? As an aside, I HIGHLY recommend growing the Delicious cantaloupe variety. Last year, for the first time, I grew this variety, the seedings of which I purchased at a local farmer's market. The vines were incredibly productive and the fruit was amazingly sweet and juicy. A neighbor said that it was the best cantaloupe she had ever eaten. My wife an I agreed. Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although I couldn't possibly guess why you have trouble with this one variety, I think I would be tempted to contact the seed company and ask them for a response to the question.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the suggestion. Makes sense. I was hoping someone on the forum might have experience with this variety. Maybe the company can provide some insight.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:) Although I have gardened practically all of my rather long life, I have never planted cantaloupe. We never can ''know it all'' when it comes to the subject of growing stuff.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just noticed that you are an English gardener. I can't say for certain, but I would think the growing season in Britain would be too short for cantaloupe, but, with global warming, maybe I'm wrong(?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have grown the Israeli variety. In my experience with them it seems that they like a warmer soil temperature than other varieties. I start my melons indoors and IIRC they like a soil temp of about 80F for germination.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You are probably right about the cantaloupe, but not so with the global warming. It's supposed to be getting close to summer now, and it feels rather more like we are going into a mini ice age :coldfeet:

Uncle Chuck usually knows about these things (y)

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
...All have germinated nicely except the Israeli Old Original cantaloupe. In past years, I have had the same difficulty getting the seeds of this variety to germinate. Can anyone provide any advice that may help me with this issue? ...

I really like those Israeli melons...but they require very warm soil to germinate indoors....or grow outdoors. From Johnnyseeds " Place the trays on a heat mat, set at 80–90°F (27–32°C) until the seeds germinate."

I direct seed all my melons and wait for the soil temps to get right...which they have not done yet in this area this spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have grown the Israeli variety. In my experience with them it seems that they like a warmer soil temperature than other varieties. I start my melons indoors and IIRC they like a soil temp of about 80F for germination.
Thank you. That would seem to be the answer. I have started all of my seeds inside and ALL germinated except the Israeli cantaloupe. I have the seedling trays set against a window with a southern exposure. But I guess that's still not warm enough for the seeds of that variety of melon. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really like those Israeli melons...but they require very warm soil to germinate indoors....or grow outdoors. From Johnnyseeds " Place the trays on a heat mat, set at 80–90°F (27–32°C) until the seeds germinate."

I direct seed all my melons and wait for the soil temps to get right...which they have not done yet in this area this spring.
Thank you. You and Chuck agree on this, so I'm sure that's the answer. My next question was going to be how you can attain those warm temperatures, but you answered that -- a "heat mat," something I did not know about. Thank you again for taking the time to answer my question.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you. That would seem to be the answer. I have started all of my seeds inside and ALL germinated except the Israeli cantaloupe. I have the seedling trays set against a window with a southern exposure. But I guess that's still not warm enough for the seeds of that variety of melon. Thanks again.
Do you have a soil thermometer? One is just about indispensable for most gardenders.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although I have a soil probe that measures moisture, I do NOT have a soil thermometer. I'll be investing in a soil thermometer AND seedling heat mat soon! ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States

Quick question on the Israeli melons . . . Do they prefer drier weather? The reason I ask is that I tried growing a French variety of melon last year called Charentais. Although vine production was decent, EVERYONE of them split open before ripening, which, as I understand it, is because there was too much soil moisture. The other variety that I grew, "Delicious," did not have that issue. I would like to avoid the same problem with the Israeli variety (if I can ever get them to germinate). :cautious: Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The reason a melon splits is because of a sudden influx of water and the melon uptakes more water than it can absorb. They don't prefer drier weather, they are just more subject to damage when there is a lot of water than other varieties. You water an Israeli the same as any other.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The reason a melon splits is because of a sudden influx of water and the melon uptakes more water than it can absorb. They don't prefer drier weather, they are just more subject to damage when there is a lot of water than other varieties. You water an Israeli the same as any other.
Understood. Thank you. We purchased our current home in 2021 after we retired. Like every home in the neighborhood, it has an underground lawn watering system controlled by a box mounted on a wall in the garage. During the drier summer months, it's programed to water once/day, in the early morning. I'm sure that's the reason the Charentais melons split--too much water. I'll need to program the system so that there is less frequent watering of the backyard, where my garden is located. Thanks again.

Ask a Question