Can Vinca and Virginia Creeper grow together? Any general advice for getting vines to grow on a seawall?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, does anyone know if Vinca and Virginia Creeper will grow together? Or have general advice on vines? I'm trying to cover up a sea wall and create some habitat.

My mom put up a steel sea wall on family lake property in southwest Michigan, which my sisters and I hate because they are terrible for the environment. (And also, terribly ugly.) I recently saw a sea wall along the Chicago river that was beautifully covered with some kind of thick vine. I couldn't get close enough to see what it was, but I realized vines are a great solution to cover up our sea wall and provide some habitat.

I love that Virginia Creeper has berries for birds and turns red in the fall. I also feel it will grow faster and lusher than the vinca (though I could be wrong, and vinca already does well on our property as a groundcover.) However, I love that vinca is evergreen.

I'm thinking maybe I can get the best of both worlds. But would love to get opinions on this as I'm a novice gardener. I'm also attaching the picture of the sea wall I saw in Chicago and the seawall in SW MI that I'm trying to cover up.

Attachments

• IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2126.jpg
    IMG_2126.jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think of those as growing up walls. the second picture looks like something that is hanging down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think of those as growing up walls. the second picture looks like something that is hanging down.
That's what I was worried about, but when I look up cascading plants a lot of people mention Virginia Creeper. Also, I'm pretty sure I have vinca in my yard cascading over a fence, so I think it will work.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What were you going to grow in? It is difficult to see, but the steps make it look as though there is a path. Have you considered hanging containers? You could have a series of oblong hanging baskets with all sorts of cascading plants, but I am getting carried away :)

Ask a Question