How to propagate vinca major?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, I can't seem to find any information how to propagate vinca major. I've looked it up countless times and it's just not the right plant! I've tried propagating this plant in water and soil but it won't root, I figured I'd come on here and at least ask if anyone knows how.

Attachments

• 16292217878006871555834980889352.jpg
    16292217878006871555834980889352.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 76
Reaction score
Country
United States
Invest in a rooting hormone powder or gel and then try the soil method again.
Two brands I've used are Rootone and Dip N' Grow, but other likely work just as well. They contain one or more plant hormones called auxins that induce rooting. Some also contain a fungicide, which may or may not be an added benefit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone, I can't seem to find any information how to propagate vinca major. I've looked it up countless times and it's just not the right plant! I've tried propagating this plant in water and soil but it won't root, I figured I'd come on here and at least ask if anyone knows how.
The vast majority of Vinca is very easy to propagate, and whilst propagating shrubs and climbers at the nursery for many years I learned that it is very often not at all necessary to use any kind of rooting compound. In fact, when we did use it for just a few specific shrubs, it was more or less rendered useless after a very short period of time as the air got to the stuff.

Vinca can easily be propagated by taking cuttings either nodal or inter nodal. Generally, cut beneath a node and leave a few leaves on. Plant your cuttings around a pot of compost, or use a seed tray. Alternatively, you can simply peg bits into the ground where the plant is growing. Roots will naturally form wherever the stems are pegged in - when they do, cut the bits off and plant them up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
• Rooting hormone is widely used by commercial growers to increase auxin levels in rooting stems.
• Auxins are a major class of plant hormone that affect many aspects of plant growth, including root initialization.
• Auxins are naturally produced by plants, though not always in the amount a plant propagator would prefer.
• The auxin in rooting powder is absorbed by the plant. It does not all wash off.
• Yes, layering is another way to propagate plants. It does require a larger soil surface area or multiple containers in order to have room to bury or peg the stems. That might be a difficult set up to manage with a single wall-mounted basket, but certainly not impossible.
• Rooting hormone can also be used to enhance success with layering.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Big headed bigotry doesn't always help those of us who manage to scrape by with only half a brain :bag:

Reaction score
Country
United States
The vast majority of Vinca is very easy to propagate, and whilst propagating shrubs and climbers at the nursery for many years I learned that it is very often not at all necessary to use any kind of rooting compound. In fact, when we did use it for just a few specific shrubs, it was more or less rendered useless after a very short period of time as the air got to the stuff.

Vinca can easily be propagated by taking cuttings either nodal or inter nodal. Generally, cut beneath a node and leave a few leaves on. Plant your cuttings around a pot of compost, or use a seed tray. Alternatively, you can simply peg bits into the ground where the plant is growing. Roots will naturally form wherever the stems are pegged in - when they do, cut the bits off and plant them up.
So would I just plant the cuttings in some soil? I tried this a few times before and the cuttings just wilted. I tried with and without rooting powder and even tried propagating them in water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello VeryCherry:

It sounds like something was 'off' with your first attempts. Somehow your parameters need to be altered. If the cuttings are actually drying out, you might try increasing the humidity. Professional growers will use a misting bench for this, but you could try by spraying water from a spray bottle and/or covering the cutting pots with a clear plastic bag. Doing this correctly is a balancing act. If conditions become too stagnantly damp, you will get rotting instead of rooting. Perhaps try bagging the cuttings during the day, but letting them have more air flow at night. I would still use rooting hormone, and making sure the cuttings are properly trimmed and set, with one node above, and one node below the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
IMHO. Rooting compouns are a total waste of money. If your parent plant is healthy and the soil/compost is likewise. It's a natural part of creation for the plant to reproduce. Been practicing horticulture since 1945.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Opinions aside, there is scientific data supporting their use. Rooting hormones are another tool in a plant propagator's tool kit. Of course, they aren't always effective either, and they do need to be used according to protocol for best results.

Rooting compounds are worth a try when one is having difficulty getting cuttings to root, as is the case with the OP's query.
If one is opposed to their use, for whatever reason, so be it.

Ask a Question