Beets are getting eaten by something

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi All,
I was hoping that someone would be able to help me figure out what is eating my beets. Whatever is eating them is just eating the tops of the actual beets and not the greens. I was thinking maybe rabbits, but none of the greens are eaten so not sure. Voles I would have expected would eat the buried part of the beets, but its just the exposed tops of the beets that is being eaten. Maybe deer?

Anyone have any ideas?

Darryl

Attachments

• Beets.jpg
    Beets.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi All,
I was hoping that someone would be able to help me figure out what is eating my beets. Whatever is eating them is just eating the tops of the actual beets and not the greens. I was thinking maybe rabbits, but none of the greens are eaten so not sure. Voles I would have expected would eat the buried part of the beets, but its just the exposed tops of the beets that is being eaten. Maybe deer?

Anyone have any ideas?

Darryl
I have to say rabbits, voles or rats because a deer will pull the beet out of the ground in most cases. Also because the bite mark patterns are too small for deer. My vote are rats. Rats have smaller bite marks than rabbits and the amount eaten is too much for a vole or field mouse.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I experience the same thing on my winter beets. I believe it is rats because like you my tops are not hit which kind of rules out rabbits. Thankfully, the damage isn't that much of an impact.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have to say rabbits, voles or rats because a deer will pull the beet out of the ground in most cases. Also because the bite mark patterns are too small for deer. My vote are rats. Rats have smaller bite marks than rabbits and the amount eaten is too much for a vole or field mouse.
Thanks.

Definitely not rats - Alberta is a rat free province.

Good point on the deer.

We do have lots of rabbits around here, but again just surprised none of the greens were eaten. And we do see voles.

Some of the other animals we see on our acreage:
- beavers
- muskrats
- moose
- squirrels
-mice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We also have lots of porcupines, and I know a family of porcupines is living under one of my outbuildings . . . .
It is the porcupines. I shot one two years ago eating my carrots. Why do you have them living on your property when they are such a destructive and dangerous animal? In Texas they are shot on sight by anyone with a gun.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thanks.

Definitely not rats - Alberta is a rat free province.

-mice

I'd be willing to bet Alberta has some rats. I see you listed mice. Field mice can do the same damage... in fact in Texas it's hard to distinguish between them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It is the porcupines. I shot one two years ago eating my carrots. Why do you have them living on your property when they are such a destructive and dangerous animal? In Texas they are shot on sight by anyone with a gun.
Maybe its just being a Canadian, but we certainly don't consider porcupines dangerous . . . they are super docile and non aggressive so as long as you give them space we've never ever had an issue. They can eat some trees and stuff, but nothing too bad.

Good news is if it is porcupines at least can use a low electric fence to stop them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe its just being a Canadian, but we certainly don't consider porcupines dangerous . . . they are super docile and non aggressive so as long as you give them space we've never ever had an issue. They can eat some trees and stuff, but nothing too bad.

Good news is if it is porcupines at least can use a low electric fence to stop them.
Not dangerous? Maybe not to humans but I have seen numerous dogs blinded by them. I personally have paid veterinarians hundreds of dollars to remove quills I could not remove myself. I have had numerous peach, pear and plum trees killed by them. Alberta should treat porcupines the same as rats, total extermination

Ask a Question